TT again... what goes here?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: TT again... what goes here?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 03:52 pm:

Hey TT gurus..

What goes into these holes on the axels? The one on the right had a bolt in it that was smaller than the threads so it was just acting as a plug!

Thanks..

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:02 pm:

Grease cups !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:05 pm:

Now, I wondered about that.. Thinking it was an obvious choice.. Yet I read somewhere that these areas are lubricated by the oil in the rear end?

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 05:03 pm:

Negative. There should be a seal between those bearings and the rest of the axle housing. I imagine they were felt originally. Not sure. Mine were missing. However they do make a modern lip seal that will fit in there, then the bearing which is supposed to be packed with grease, then the outer seal set up. I didn't see any modern seals offered for the outer seal, so I got what they had. It is a washer, a felt and an outer cup to hold it all in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:16 pm:

Make sure the grease cup holes line up with the hole in the bearing sleeve too - or the grease won't get to the bearing.
Some modern replacement sleeves are missing the grease hole, and also are missing the "dimples" that locate in the hole you will see on the end of the axle housing (facing to the front on both sides - grease hole face to back). The dimples are important to prevent the sleeve rotating and blocking off the grease hole.

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:22 pm:

Interesting again, Adrian.. I was wondering what the hole with the dimple in it was for... Makes sense.. they are lined up well.. I am surprised it did not hit me right away!

Kind of like a Gary Larson cartoon... "What the hey?)

Michael

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration