Amp meter wiring help needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Amp meter wiring help needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:02 pm:

My 1919 Touring didnt come with a Generator thus having no amp meter or spot to put one. The fellow I got the car from had used a genreator type engine. How do I wire an Amp meter to the charging system so I can watch the charging system work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 07:10 pm:

Will
Here is a wiring diagram for a Model T with the starting, charging and lighting system. Wiring Diagram 1919-1925
FunProjects sells a very nice ammeter Funprojects New Ammeter
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:17 pm:

Will:

Assuming you are going to use a regular T generator, use either our voltage regulator or a diode type cutout. Those can be purchased new or you can modify a mechanical cutout to be a diode type. The reason I want you to use either a diode cutout or our voltage regulator is that typically the mechanical cutouts are nasty at destroying generators. If the contacts ever fail to close, the generator will be running without any load on it and that is fatal to a good generator. Never run the engine with a generator just sitting there unwired to anything or you will be very sorry once the generator quickly fails this way. The MAIN power wire should be 12 GAUGE and run from the cutout output to one side of the ammeter and then from the other side of the ammeter to the positive side of the battery. The negative terminal of the battery goes to ground. All T's were negative ground - all years. All items that get battery power will then be tapped into the cutout side of the ammeter wiring. Nothing should be connected to the wire that runs from the ammeter to the positive side of the battery except for the starter heavy cable. Starter current does NOT pass through the ammeter. Don't worry too much about ammeter polarity since it swings both ways. Once hooked up, if it reads backwards you can simply reverse the ammeter connections.

Use Ron's diagram to see the point to point wiring connections that you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Omar C on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:08 pm:

Will;
My 19 touring is just like yours, original without a gen and starter. Someone down the line added the 6 volt system and installed a wood dash to place the necessary switch and volt meter. I just replaced the volt meter with one from FUN PROJECTS, very nice!!! Now Iím looking for an original dash to replace the wood one. Sorry about the picture used the phone camera..

Ps Iím not done with the install I need to trim the wood around the new volt meter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 05:07 pm:

Hey Omar - its an AMMETER but it does look nice even slightly blurred but then I am biased ha ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Omar Cosio on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 08:03 pm:

Yea AMMETER!
Will; I call Langs today and they have the dash, its not cheap $125+ shipping.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration