Tire brands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Tire brands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug in moberly,mo on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:52 pm:

as this 1925 model T speedster is my first, what brand tires are dependable? im looking at bedford tires from Lucas. i need 4.40/4.50x 21. they will be mounted on wood spokes...thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:53 pm:

Doug,most of them are all made in Viet Nam and are as good as we're going to get. They should be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:38 am:

Sorry guys, I'm a Viet Nam Vet. I think I'd sooner ride on the rims than put anything that said "Made In Viet Nam" on my car.
I'll stick with my weather cracked old "Ward's Riversides" until I can find a suitable replacement made anyplace else but Viet Nam!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 08:19 am:

I think the 21 inch tires are all still made in the USA. The clincher sizes are all made in Viet Nam.

Call Coker or Universal, they can fix you up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:21 am:

I believe Royce is right about the 21's, When I replaced mine last year with Firestones all the labels said made in the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:11 am:

I installed a set of Universals last year, they were marked China.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:29 pm:

Dennis,
I will soon be replacing my 1960's Wards tires with new ones. If you wait a couple of months you can have the old ones free. The car had been sitting for about 30 years so there is still good tread on them, but I want to use the car for tours and plan to buy some Ward's Riverside tires made in Viet Nam for replacements to make my car more dependable. Only thing is you will either have to come to California or pay the shipping to Florida.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:05 pm:

Doug, the bedfords are nylon made in china, I have about seven thousand on a set so far and am well pleased. I orded direct from lucus tire and got fast service and a little better price. I'm a vet too and have no problems with the viet nam tires, my boys are half vietnamiese and have turned out pretty well. have a good day, Keith B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:06 am:

Thanks for the offer Norm but it sounds like I already have a set exactly like them.
The only miles my car sees is an occaisional Sunday putt around town in the 30 MPH range. I still have a front end to overhaul before I can think about touring or tires.
I've got 21's on wire wheels, I'm sure I can find something when the time comes.
As far as tires from Viet Nam, I can't, I just can't! The memories of loading my dead brothers on our C-130 are still too fresh, even after 41 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Iversen on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:10 am:

Undoubtedly, like many other VN combat vets, I reeled in disbelief when a draft dodging prez moved to normalize relations with a country that established a terrible Stalin-like national gulag in the wake of American withdrawal that imprisoned nearly a million people for believing in a different ideology. It endures into a fourth decade as the victors continue to exterminate the indigenous Montagnards, because they were our steadfast allies, while deneying that it is standard policy. Likewise, our leadership has steadfastly embraced those who perpetuated the Tianamen massacre even as they continue to deny the event happened. Almost 60 years ago, George Orwell wrote: "Organized lying practiced by totalitarian states is not a temporary expedient of the same nature as military deception". But where does that place the Bush administration? Anyway you cut it this crap sticks in the craw of many vets who were once young and idealistic enough to offer themselves up to watch their friends die in the filth and stench of a far away land, some knowing they had been (and would have continued to be) systematically betrayed by the country they loved. Tires from Kalamazoo or Timbuktu? I've ceased to give a damn. I'm having a heck of a time discerning who the enemy really is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:21 am:

Keith, it's not the Vietnamise people, we brought back some valiant (dead) RVN troops too and their families mourned their loss just as surely as the families of my "brothers".
It's me and I know it.
A while back I did a "Google Earth" search for Tan Son Nhut Air Base. I wanted to see if our old taxiway out there on the "wrong" side of the runway from the terminal, was still there.
It took me the longest time to figure out I'd never find Saigon and I had to look for Ho Chi (friggin) Minh city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:32 am:

Enemies?, Thy names are Johnson, McNamara and these 2 SOB's!
http://www.vietnamwar.com/janefonda_johnkerry.gif

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:51 am:

Dennis, no offence taken, believe me I understand. Guess I just finaly learned to let go. It's different for all of us. Just have fun in the hobby! Have a great day, Keith B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:02 pm:

I have a pair of 21" Garfields on the front of my TT. I bought them from Coker, I tihnk, about 4 or 5 years ago. They say "Made in USA" on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:05 pm:

Aside from labor costs, why can't they still make tires in the USA? I had a set of Goodyears on the back of my '13. They were made here in the late 60's or early 70's and were the best tires I ever had on that car. They are both bald now, and I'm using one of them for a spare. It has no age cracks whatsoever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Iversen on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 05:46 pm:

I have two very good 21" Firestones that have no country of origin marked on them that I'd like to add to for a full set. Maybe the last of US production? Does anyone know if the Firestones, now from VN I assume, would be a match in appearance in terms of tread and other markings? Or does anyone have a clue concerning the possibility that molds used here were simply shipped off to SE Asia?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug in moberly,mo on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:26 pm:

thanks keith and everyone else for your input. i have tires that hold air but plan on driving it a lot to work and around town. (if i ever get it done) i need a few small things but plan to visit Dan in fulton in the near future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. Iversen on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:52 pm:

Sorry, Alex and Norman. I failed to reread the whole thread when I pick up on it a second time. Thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Iversen on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:57 pm:

Moron--its Royce and Alex who answered your question. Thanks Royce!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson (Aust) on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:16 pm:

John Iverson,
Prior to thier manufacture in Vietnam, Firestones were manufactured in New Zealand.
I have a set of Kiwi Firestones and they seem to be really quite good, but I've never had anything else to compare them too/with, so I'm not really qualified to comment.
Rob

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration