Longer band spring install

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Longer band spring install
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:42 pm:

I have the new longer bands springs, and having a heck of a time compressing them enough to fit between the band ears. Any tricks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Martin on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:03 am:

Try compressing them in a vise and using a nylon wire tie to hold it together, then install it in the tranny, once in place cut and remove the wire tie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:04 am:

I use wood band liners, and last time around I just left the springs out.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Martin on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:09 am:

I hope you have stuffed rags around the drums and gears to keep anything you drop from going into the tranny! Good luck!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:33 am:

Rags are a good idea, but you should first disconnect the battery. Count the rags when you put them in and count them when you pull them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:45 am:

And don't forget to take them out! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:36 pm:

Rick,
Let me know if you ever have a problem with the low pedal sticking down or the reverse pedal sticking down. The springs are to assure that the bands won't drag on the drums when the pedals are up.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:10 pm:

Nope, no problem. Drove it just this morning. . I think I left the spring on the brake, to aid the return of the outside brake actuation.

Sticking down is usually from bands too loose, which the kevlar people do. The spring won't help once you get the pedal shaft cams out.

rdr

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration