Were the early firewalls cherry veneer or...??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Were the early firewalls cherry veneer or...??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:09 pm:

I simply assumed that the firewall in my 1911 had a cherry firewall, because that's what I had always heard it referred as. But, are the 1/16 inch veneers on both sides really made from cherry? Or is the deep red/mahogany color only the result of staining. Where this firewall has been exposed to sunlight, the color is amber, due to the stain color fading away. Could this veneer be maple, originally stained to resemble deep cherry?

I am having a difficult time identifying the wood used in the firewall just by looking at the grain. I have both cherry and hard maple in my workshop, and the grain is similar. Once topcoated, the difference in color stands out much more. The cherry when exposed to sunlight ages darker and more red. That's why I am questioning if maple may have been used on the early firewalls, thus explaining the amber tone around the hood former.

firewall

Ward Sherwood
Sierra Vista, AZ

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration