Why Convert to a Chevy head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Why Convert to a Chevy head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Brown on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 04:03 pm:

Is there really any advantage to it. If you are going to build a speedster with the conversion ok. Ford never went to an overhead engine on the model t and I would rather stay stock with my units as much as is visibly possible.
Does the overhead unit give more horsepower and if it does is it not putting more pressure on the crank and bearings than they were designed for.
I have access to a 28 chev complete engine , transmission and chassis but I do not want a chevy.I sold it to a man who wanted the body for a street rod. I may use disc wheels on a speedster someday but will run with a model t engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 04:29 pm:

Dennis,

Different strokes for different folks. That's the nice thing about Model T's, they're like Legos or Tinker Toys, assemble them however you desire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 04:33 pm:

Should be easier to make a Chevy Speedster. You may want to beef up the driveshaft and rear axles; that's all.

The logical way to more hp is higher compression, which is claimed to put less strain on the crank. The Chevy crank is heavy duty, so can take whatever power you can give it, anyhow.

I run Chevy crank and rods under the Frontenac R head.

I bet a Chevy Speedster would be just as much fun as a T Speedster, and you won't see yourself coming at every event...

This one was at San Diego Swap a few years back.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( ModelTengine.com ) on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 04:43 pm:

What?!?!?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:18 pm:

Gasp !! We are not going down that road again are we people where we discuss the Chevy head idea yet again?? ....Dennis, please check over the listing for several prior threads where this subject has been vastly debated.

I would say if you want to go as much stock as possible, without breaking the bank, then go with either a new "Z" head or a Waukesha Ricardo head. (there a Ricardo head that just got listed onto eBay today). These heads do not stress the crank and allow better breathing and combustion.

With better carburetion such as a Stromberg OF, maybe an accessory exhaust system and especially some balancing/blue printing of the engine, you could achieve a desirable effect. Though I am hardly an expert and there are many others who are much more qualified to comment on this, I would say I am pointing you in the right direction.

As always, when one changes a stock engineering engine you often create a domino effect. The trick question is how far do you need to go based on your budget?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:08 pm:

Heck,If one wants more power and a stronger crankshaft simply drop a model A engin/trans in.Those 4 banger chevys never had the power the model A had and i have owned both!Bud.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration