Citgo Gear Lube 80W-90?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Citgo Gear Lube 80W-90?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 09:05 pm:

T Gents,

I just inherited a barrel of Citgo Premium Gear Oil (MA) 80W-90 #631310001031.

Is it good to use in my leaky old Warford? How about in the differential?

Thank you again,

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 09:22 pm:

Yes, but I doubt you can get the whole barrel in the Warford!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 09:34 pm:

Just set it in the back and runa 1/4 inch pipe to the tranny. Should work if the drum is vented.(G)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:49 pm:

Jack P, and Jack d-I,

I worked all afternoon trying to seal-up leaks in that old gearbox, but won't know how I did until it sits for a couple of days to allow the sealant to cure, then I'll fill it up and fire it up (and pray).

How about the rear end - that 80W-90 lube OK? I've read something about bronze bushings being attacked by some lubricants.

Forever in your debt,

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:00 pm:

Not sure what brands you have in the States, but "Three Bond" gray gasket glue (Japanese product) is a winner here for sealing up gaskets. Works wonders on leaky T engines.
Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:47 pm:

80W-90 would not be the prefered gearoil for the Warford or the rear end but will do the job just fine.
You could put a 1/4 can of STP in with it to thicken it a little, may slow down the leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:14 am:

Hey Adrian, I've not seen "Three Bond" gasket glue before - and this Warford has no gaskets, they are machined surfaces. I used a "Sillycone" type of sealant, but that stuff doesn't stick to anything but my fingers, so I went back to prehistoric times and used some of my old #2 Permatex. Keep your fingers crossed! And thanks.

aaron: If STP will slow the leaks, I'll use a 1/2-can!

Thanks Guys, 'preciate it.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 01:01 am:

I have tried and used alot of stuff over the years.Briggs and Stratton says use NO glues or sealers on thier gaskets.
But anyhow,this is what I use.anything else I call sillycone.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/a uto_Permatex_Ultra_Black_Maximum_Oil_Resistance_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

I learned about this stuff thru my job.We had hydrolic pumps on our trucks and the gaskets would leak where they were bolted to the transmission till they started useing this.
To be honest you have to be carefull where you use this stuff and be sparing with it to keep from haveing globs get where it dont belong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:13 am:

I used to use Permatex #2 on most everything. Then I found two I think are better:

1.Hylomar HPF for often removed joints (like the transmission door if you have a screen under it) since Hylomar, like Permatex #2, never hardens. Hylomar is marketed in the US by Permatex.

2. Hondabond - a "glue" that I use on non-gasketed surfaces such as on that Warford. Available at Honda motorcycle/ATV dealerships.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:05 am:

Three Bond US site:
http://www.threebond.com/LGasket.html
http://www.threebond.com/Overview.html
(They claim to be the first inventor of liquid gaskets in the 50's and even have an office in Detroit).
Cheers
Adrian

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration