How many fords

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: How many fords
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jroman on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:35 pm:

I was wandering how many fords have been built from day one till present time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:43 pm:

Since Ford's keep coming off the line 24 hours a day do you mean now................or...... now..............................or...... now.:-)

You have a really good question that I too would like answered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:04 pm:

You do know that "Ford" is really a parts company? Products were designed for the replacement market and the real meaning of Ford is "Fix Or Repair Daily".
Taking all the spares, perhaps production is 2 or 3 x?
:-)

(The fixing is what makes them fun!

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:04 pm:

Well, the 300 millionth Ford car was built in 2003. In 2004 Ford produced its 150 millionth V8 engine which was a Triton engine.

Close enough?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:07 pm:

Adrian, I prefer First On Race Day. Have you looked at Ford's quality ratings lately?

Poke fun at someone else's car company, not the one that produced 15 million of our favorite car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:13 pm:

Just for anyone's info, if you want to make a smiley face, do it with a : ) without the space, example: :-) If you want a frowning face, do this: : ( without the spaces, :-(.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:18 pm:

Tom, easy brother, I'm sure Adrian meant that in jest or he wouldn't have one of the nicest most unique TT trucks "in the land down under".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:20 pm:

:-) I be danged,It works.I was wAndering how you all do that.Now I know,and knowing is half the battle. Now lets try the other 1.
:-( Yep it wurks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:21 pm:

Hi Tom, "First On Race Day" is a good one too.

How about:
Fix It Again Tonio

I am sure there are some more?

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:24 pm:

Hi Rob, and Mack thanks for the tips - :-) :-) :-)
yes I do love the old Ford, and won't trade Albert anytime soon.

That is often the danger on the forum, without being able to see gestures and hear tone of voice it is easy to have the message taken the wrong way.

Tom, please don't take offence, none intended.

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:17 am:

None taken Adrian.

Cheers back at you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:41 am:

"Fixed Or Rebuilt Dodge"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 01:27 am:

Hey, don't disparage my "Dependable Dodge Bros."!
You know, you don't need a horn on a Dodge, as it says right on the radiator shell, "Dodge, Bro!"
:-)
S
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:25 am:

FORD stands for..."Fix Or Repair Daily"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By phil from australia on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:38 am:

No ford stands for Full of rust, Dude. In down under here, we have holden, which is short for Hope Our Luck Doesn't End Now... always silences the critics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Watson on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:02 am:

At least Ford is in a better position to survive. GM is on life support and Chrysler is just about dead in the water.

Ford is making the best cars of the Detroit 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:33 am:

1. Is this trouble in Detroit because the Big Three make such BORING cars?
2. I believe it would benefit Detroit if they were to up their warranty in years and miles. My wife and I bought our first brand new car in 08. We bought a Hyundia. Why, not because its a far better product then Detroit but because of that. If the car does not prove out, which it has so far, for 100,000 miles or 10 years we don't have to worry about spending another dime on it. Great for when we know we won't own the car for more then 6 years.
Just a little side note. I have always loved Germany cars. Before the Hyundia, we bought a two year old BMW 325i still had two years warranty. Under warranty we had it in for a couple small problems. Now this 325 is wow! a performer, great autobon german engineering, no complants there. We traded the the car (for the Hyundia) at 42,000 miles. Why? After warranty exspired it nickel and dimes us to death.
Look at the pickups coming out of Detroit, they get better looking every year. Look at their sales of pickups. They too keep looking better each year. Toyota will never out build or out sale Ford or GM in trucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:34 am:

AND Ford is making cars with quality equal or better to those being sent over by Japan.

No one on this forum personally attacks stuff made and sold by our Model T vendors because they have proven their quality. Yet for some reason, many of you feel it is fine to poke fun at a company with a proven reputation that has managed to keep it in business for well over a hundred years. When I was a kid, there were many cases of Japan coming over here to photograph the Ford factory tour so they could properly equip their new factories.

Living in Michigan, I and many others I know depend on the continued success of the Ford Motor Company. The money I make funds my restorations, pays for parts from our Model T suppliers, and pays my dues at our clubs.

Ford have data and facts to back up their quality and I think this Ford bashing with clever acronyms is out of order.

As of this last week I also became aware that Ford is very supportive of us, the restorers and maintainers of older Ford vehicles. For instance, if you look at a publication like Mustang Monthly, you will notice that Ford is releasing their original tooling so vendors can prescisely duplicate the older parts.

Disclaimer: The above comments are my own and I do not presume to speak on behalf of Ford Motor Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:49 am:

Let me be specific here:

I impulsively bought a 2002 Windstar nearly two years ago, and at 140K miles the tranny suddenly died. Since then, I've been following http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-windstar/ . The dominant problem on these and its replacement, the Freestar, is tranny failures, any time from 30K miles on, seeming to peak at 110K miles.

The failure rate hasn't seemed to improve over a dozen years. They use the same tranny in the 4,000 lb Windstar/Freestar as in the 3,000 lb Taurus. The final failure in our '86 Taurus/Sable was the tranny at 200K miles; not so bad.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a later, nicer Freestar, and am figuring to set aside an extra $2K for a tranny rebuild. Hopefully it won't happen 1500 miles from home like the last one.

Ford can do better. But as long as warranty costs aren't higher than after-warranty profits, they won't do better. Trannies rebuilt by others seem to last better, btw.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:58 pm:

After watching part of the 2009 Tokyo Auto Show on TV this past weekend, it's obvious that the American auto makers just need to be taken out back and hit repeatedly on the head with a hammer until they stop struggling.

The rest of the world is so, SO far ahead of the US in nearly every way it was humiliating to see.

Anybody wonder why Honda or Toyota or the German makers aren't standing around holding a tin cup begging for a handout? See what other countries are making and selling. We can't even buy here most of the cool stuff that is available worldwide. It's disgusting. Who wants to buy the crud for sale on your local lot? It's at least 40 years out of date mechanically and 15 years behind in style and interior technology.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:20 am:

If they aren't out holding a cup, why do our taxpayers continue to subsidize them to build factories over here?
Sorry that you feel our country is" So far behind the rest of the world in every way".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:21 am:

Warren, I regret the wording in my statement that allowed you to misinterpret it.

In my "...rest of the world..." comment I was speaking only of modern vehicles as shown at the recent Tokyo Auto Show.

If you are of the opinion that the US somehow leads the world in motor vehicle technology in 2009, then happy trails to you; but I don't see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrea Davide on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:59 am:

Don't worry, we are buying Chrisler and in a short time you'll be able to drive Alfa Romeo....

The cars that made a certain Henry to tip his hat every time he saw one....

Andrea from Italy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Shebley on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 01:01 pm:

Dan - You do realize that both Germany and Japan have been heavily subsidized by the respective governments. That's how they got their foot in the door of the American market, by undercutting prices until they had a large share of the U.S. auto market. These foreign cars were made cheaply in non union shops which forced the American manufactures to cut corners in the 70's. Giving them a bad rap, which unfairly continues to this day.

I'm not sure what "Cool Stuff" that we can't get, but Japanese styling doesn't do a thing for me, and now it seems the Germans are headed that way too. I'd take a new Mustang over anything in the price rage produced overseas (Though Australia does have some interesting Ford products).

Dan, the rest of this comment is not directed at you, but this is my humble opinion; Please consider, now that quality is comparable and price is comparable, I don't see how any self respecting American would consider buying anything but American iron... And honestly I don't care that it cost me an extra $1,500.00 or more per car for the autoworker to have a decent standard of living, decent health care, and a good retirement!

Respectfully,
Geo. - Ore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 01:47 pm:

Products made in America would be more competitive with European products if we had a single payer healthcare system like the rest of the developed world..

Still, there's no way an American worker will compete with 49 cents an hour Communist Chinese labor. 100% inspection of imports, paid by the importers, would fix a lot of ills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 05:12 pm:

George -
I don't disagree with anything you said.

My comments are not meant to be anti-American, I've owned one foreign car in my life - a 1972 Mercedes Benz I bought for $1.00 with about 4 trillion miles on it and drove for ten years. I AM a buy-American kind of guy.

My comments express my lament of the stagnant state and utter lack of real innovation in the American auto industry. We went to the Sacramento Auto show, the San Francisco Auto show, watched what we could of the Detroit show on TV and most recently the Tokyo show. The California shows left me shaking my head and wondering what the US makers are going to do to save themselves. There was nothing stimulating from the Detroit three. Nothing. True, they were nice, but honestly, so what? Almost all the cars were "nice". In truth the American iron was forgettable and obsolete and the crowd, I could not avoid noticing, saw nothing enthralling either. For the most part they strolled past the rows of gleaming SUVs without a pause to get a closer look at the more interesting and innovative foreigners.

What I want to see, in an apparently imaginary world, is for Ford to lead the way. Where is Ford's "Tesla" electric sports car? Even staggering under the burden of start-up costs, Tesla is selling more cars than it can make and let me tell you, the Tesla - if you've not yet seen one - is one fine and exciting piece of automotive technology. A friend of mine has one and I expect after a little more of the newness wears off I'll get to change seats with him and drive it.

Where is Ford's 50+ mpg commuter car? Other makers produce them, but they aren't available here.

Style is subjective and I can readily understand that really modern (and for that matter the really wierdo-futuristic designs) are not attractive to everyone. But for Pete's sakes, this is 2009. Why do American cars still look like 1996? Why are they still built like 1936, using technology from 1906?

This is the future, dammit, and I want my George Jetson car. And I want it made HERE, by US, in the U.S. And I want it to be a Ford.

I want Tom Miller to get RICH working in the high-tech, New Age Ford organization. I want Americans to chuckle politely at the suggestion of buying an Asian import. I want them to shake their head knowingly when someone says they ought to consider buying a European brand - because they already have the best and I want it to have come from guys like Tom.

Hmmm...I don't want much, do I?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 05:22 pm:

Very nice how this string has progressed. Can't anybody ask a damn question here without someone finding a way to bash someone else or something else? What is wrong with you people?

This is a Model T forum, talk T's or go home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 05:30 pm:

Ford has done really well on its new Fusion and Taurus. They are examples that Ford management "gets it". Well Done!!!!

Ford is due to start importing the 55MPG (average combined city / highway) Ka. Cute little thing:

ka

The Ka is a Polish made Fiat 500 built under license for Ford.

Review here:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article5574385.ece

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 05:50 pm:

Better let it go, Royce, or Jerry will start yelling at you to shut up or go home, too.
And I have no idea how hysterical he'll get now that you've posted a picture; we'll probably all be blown out of here by the concussion of all the screaming.

Remember, it's all Model Ts all the time here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Shebley on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 06:08 pm:

Dan, very well said! I long for the day when I can plug my daily driver in and commute my 60 miles a day!

I guess you've got me though on several points, as far as the new stuff "lighting my fire" hasn't happened in a long time, they've just become "cars" to me, maybe for the reasons you've stated. My passion is for cars of the past... As long as I have my Model T I guess I don't care what else I drive! =-)

But I do understand your passion.

Respectfully,
Geo. - Ore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gorslin on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 06:12 pm:

So, how many Fords?
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 06:17 pm:

One of my favorite quotes

"Speak kindly of your ass, for it bears you." - John Muir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 06:35 pm:

Gary -
Somewhere around 16 million Model Ts and that's all that can be said on the Model T Forum without Jerry swinging down out of the rafters, delivering justice with that skinning knife he carries clenched in his teeth. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 06:39 pm:

I am a dye hard Ford man. I have owned Ford trucks since 1971, by the way is still on the road. Every Ford I have owned I have driven over 250,000 miles. But when I went to buy the wife another car, I had a problem. I would have to buy a van or suv in the Ford line because my 15 year old son cant sit in the back seat, he is to tall. The Ford Focus just wasnt going to work. Chevy didnt have anything that the wife would agree to. So for the first time in my life Ford forced me to buy Toyota, They just didnt have a car that fit what I needed. This isnt what I wanted to do. I am sorry that I didnt do my part to save the US car market. But what was I supposed to do? I hope next time around Ford redoes this design flaw, and will trade in for a Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Gonzaz on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:25 pm:

:-) well it does not work for me, please tell me again how to do the smiley face :-(
Wow it did work once I posted it. NICE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Van on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:21 pm:

Dan,

Now you're getting the picture! :-)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration