Advice on parts purchase

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Advice on parts purchase
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By drrbutcher on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:15 pm:

Hi, first post, total "newbie" here. I'm a over 50 gearhead with the opportunity to purchase the following parts:
2 "T" frames
front axle asm.
rear axle asm.
complete engine
2 oil pans
2 transmissions
windshield assembly
2 headlights
2 fenders(the "flat type")
3 wheels
boxes of misc. bits and pieces

A relative purchased all this about 10 years ago, and health problems keep him from pursuing the project any further. No body parts other than the fenders and windshield. Year is unknown.
I can purchase it all for $500. My desire is to build a "speedster" or slightly modified T . Not interested in a T bucket or ratrod. My question is: good starting point and reasonable price?
Thanks for the advice in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( ModelTengine.com ) on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:20 pm:

Sounds like a great deal to me, providing the parts are not beyond restoring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:39 pm:

There are plenty of speedster guys on this forum, so I'm sure you'll have lots of answers and recommendations in this thread. Welcome to the forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By drrbutcher on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:56 pm:

Thanks for the responses. The parts are all from Arizona and Southern Cal. Engine is supposedly free, complete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:10 pm:

According to the MTFCA website, there are five chapters in Arizona. If there's one nearby, hooking up with them would be a good idea.

Also, if you sign one of your posts with your first name, we'll know what to call you. It sounds so impersonal to call you "drr." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john r. wightman on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:31 pm:

I'm in Phoenix if you are there and need some help. It does sound like a good deal. Rollie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:40 pm:

Buy it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By drrbutcher on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:10 pm:

The parts are in Kingman, Az.
I don't think it's a next project for me, and will likely pass. Being a relatives parts, I'm not going to buy them to resale for profit, so I will contact him and ask if he'd like his name and contact info posted here for the true enthusiast.
I'd love to play with a T, but, #1 the old money question for another project and #2 I like to drive my project cars to and from work alot. Unless I went with a late model 4banger and drivetrain, a 25 mile roundtrip commute might be pushing it, you think? Like I said, a t bucket or ratrod isn't a interest. Always liked the speedster look with a stock T inspiration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICK LAWSON on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:50 pm:

I drive 48 miles round trip and it's not enough. The co-workers love it. Rick

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration