26-27 head light - re brighting the relector ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 26-27 head light - re brighting the relector ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:15 pm:

Hello , can anyone advise the best form of re brighting the refector part of the 26-27 head light and how is that reflector removed from the light housing ????
Can you assist ???

Thanks in advance David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:36 pm:

First-

Removing the reflector. After you have removed the lens, look closely at the OD of the reflector. You will see some tabs on the reflector that are resting under some clips that are formed in the headlight shell. Remove the headlight bulb. Press the reflector inward (toward the rear of the car) and try to rotate the reflector as if you were unscrewing it. If you are lucky, it may come out easily. If not, you may have to take a punch or screwdriver and carefully tap on the tabs of the reflector to get it to rotate and come out.

Re-brighting is the expensive part. New chrome reflectors are the cheapest, and worst solution. 'UVIRA' coating is the best and most expensive. When I checked, they wanted the reflector to be freshly nickel plated, and they would then apply their coating. Probable cost would be well over $100/reflector plus shipping cost. The best compromise is to have the reflectors resilvered at a shop that replates silver flatware and bowls, etc.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:26 pm:

David, to add to what Ron has said, I have had good sucess polishing the originals if they still have any silver left by using the warm salt and soda solution in a glass dish deep enough to cover the piece, place aluminum foil in the bottom, this will remove the worst of the tarnish. Then I use a polish made to polish out the plastic lenses on modern autos, polish with a back and forth motion instead of swirling, the silver is very thin so use care. Good luck, Keith B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:15 pm:

Use a soft and dry cloth - like used for cleaning spectacles.
Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nelson Jones on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:48 pm:

I know what I did was not what Henry did. but it sure improved my lights. I sanded the reflectors to rough them up & then I used a paint called Chrome paint bought off the paint rack at Advance Auto Parts. It can probably be bought at any paint rack. I am not pushing Advance. That just happen to be were I bought mine. I did both of my Ts this way. The nice thing about it is they start getting dull just repaint. Nelson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 01:53 am:

There is a company in Oregon called Elvira or something like that that puts an aluminum oxide coating on the reflector that is almost as reflective as silver and way more reflective than chrome.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:36 am:

OK thanks, l'll look locally for the aluminium oxide treatment , l found last week a can of chrome finish in a can for mag wheels, apparrently the best there is !! mind you at A$88-00 a 175 ml can they may keep that , but it is 1 step down from a nickel finish......I'm told.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MARK BASLER on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:32 am:

Caswell.com sells rechrome kits

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MARK BASLER on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:35 am:

Caswellplating.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:42 am:

I disagree completely. For the price, you can buy 4 sets of chromed reflectors for the model T from the parts vendors. The amount of time it would take for those 4 sets of chromed reflectors to go bad would be well beyond 2 lifetimes... so, why would you want to invest so much money that gives you nothing in return? I have them and they are great! They are $60 set or $29.95 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:56 am:

Reflectors can be polished with a GOOD polish that is for PLATED silverware, if there is any silver left on them. If not, they need to be plated. Email me, I do that. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:10 pm:

If you ever risk being out on the road when the sun goes down, beware of chromed reflectors. They only reflect 65% of the light from the bulb, while silver reflects 94%.
http://groups.msn.com/AntiqueAutoMushersofAlaska/studebakerreview.msnw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 01:14 pm:

If you have lots of money, I just had mine resilvered. $145 each. They sure are nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 01:37 pm:

I keep seeing people say not to buy the chrome reflectors. They don't reflect good enough. But you know what? 65% is a heck of a lot better than the pitted silver and brass things in mine right now. I believe I'm gonna break down and spend the $60. I very seldom get caught out on the highway after dark in mine, but I do occassionally take a night drive down the dirt road I live on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 02:40 pm:

David-Greetings from still frozen Indiana.Ever heard of Gus Wilson and The Model Garage?Old Popular Science Magazine series.Go to www.gus-stories.org. Read October 1942. I got lampblack at a paint store.Since we last communicated,I have definitely found a set of Chevy Four manifolds if ol' Fred has none.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 05:31 pm:

thanks , l'll see what the local electroplater has for me to look at , Jim , good to hear, l'll email you and talk more, l believe that spring for you is a mear 8 weeks away !
Cheers David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:38 pm:

I doubt anybody is going to turn you in but chrome reflectors are in fact outlawed in some states as acceptable lighting. If you have the $$$ there is no substitute for silver and they sure do make bright lights out of small bulbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:07 pm:

I'm glad John pointed that out, as Chrome reflectors are still outlawed in many states. Granted, I doubt the Highway Patrol is out looking at reflectors, but it does say something about their lousy reflecting ability.
T'
David D.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration