Clutch spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Clutch spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SteveB on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:51 am:

I am almost finished the rebuild of my rear end and since I have it out, I thought that I would replace the clutch spring as it is original and I have a new one to replace it with.
Is there an easy way to remove the original clutch spring with the engine in the car?
I have slackened off the clutch fingers but I can't seem to be able to compress the spring enough to enable me to twist the retainer cup and remove the pin.
Are there any tools for this available or that can be made?
Thanks,

Steve BoothroydNew Home

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:19 pm:

The procedure is explained on page 139 of the service manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 02:11 pm:

Steve B.

I used a tire iron for leverage against a large socket pressed against the spring retainer. Once compressed, the pin could be tapped flush with the output shaft, release the whole set up & rotate the engine (in High) 1/2 turn, compress again & have someone with visegrips to pull pin out. Release pressure & spring & retainer is removed. The only time the retainer has to be rotated is in installation.

Installation is the reverse, except you may have to say some strong words to compress the new spring enough to have retainer line-up with output shaft hole for someone to carefully insert pin.

I say carefully, since the first attempt failed & had to remove hogshead to remove pin from sump.

Once pin is in place, the retainer is turned to lock retainer against pin.

Instead of a tire iron, a long flat steel bar would give better leverage & a spare large trans bushing used in place of a large socket against the retainer. Leverage was against the speed lever bar.

You will learn new words in installation !!

Bob J.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration