14 x 24 Taps for Magnet Clamp Screws

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 14 x 24 Taps for Magnet Clamp Screws
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Brown on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 01:07 am:

There are still taps available for these threads. Price depends on what you feel like paying and the type of metal that you want in the tap. A high speed steel plug tap from MSC Company lists at $46.87. The plug tap is #74819434 . The website for their catalog is www.msc.directcom
Napa also has 2 types of 14 x 24 taps available but have to usually be ordered in from a warehouse. They both are carbon steel and will break easier but as we are usually just cleaning up the threads in the holes they work just fine. The tapered tap is the hardest to come by and my local store had not found one but had it listed in their books. The tapered tap is Napa #T319 and will cost about $4. The plug tap is # NHT T322 with a cost of $4 and is stocked in a lot of warehouses but not in Portland OR where my last one came from that I cannot find. I ordered 2 today and the shipping cost as much as the 2 taps but I will put them in a special place and will not be able to find them either.
Check with your local Napa store if you are looking for these. When I had removed the brass screws from a flywheel I was able to screw the tap I had a long way in with my fingers so I was comfortable with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:27 am:

Thanks Dennis,I've been looking for one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:33 pm:

Dennis-When you put the 2 new taps in that special place, you will find the missing ones there.
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:45 pm:

I thought I was very clever when I found a co offering 14 x 24 UNC taps, but they are NOT the same as ASME 14 x 24 - too big. Looking at the thread chart in their catalogue, 12 x 24 UNC might be nearer - tap drill size is 4.6mm and a 4.5mm drill fits nicely into the flywheel hole - I might order one and see how it compares.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 03:33 pm:

Don't mistake a 1/4-24 thread for a 14-24 thread!

1/4-24 is .250 diameter
14-24 is .242 diameter

Production Tool Supply carries 1/4-24 at $9.90 per their 2007 catalog.

They offer 14-24 at $2.55 each, same catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:53 pm:

No, Jerry, I wasn't. Their list shows #0 to #14, then starts at 1/4" on up. They call them UNC/UNF (SAE) and the 14x24 is bigger than the ASME 14x24 bolts from my flywheel.

Here's the page
http://www.tracytools.com/tapsanddiesuncunf.htm

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration