Model T - Colors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Model T - Colors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernd Lorenzen on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 07:21 pm:

Hi,

for a friend`s birthday I`d like to paint a small Model T model. It is a 1911. I know there were other colors than black back then like red, blue, gray. While I am having hard time to decide what color the model will get, I was wondering if the T was available in black AT ALL in 1911. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Bernd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 07:54 pm:

Here's what Bruce says in the encyclopedia:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1911.htm
"COLORS: All cars were painted a very dark, all-but-black, blue. Black is reported as an available color but Ford records do not indicate black as a standard color. A few Red Open Runabouts and green Town Cars were built in April 1911. It is possible that there were green early 1911 models; the date of the body change is unknown but both “blue” and “green” cars were built in later 1910 (after the 1910 fiscal year ended).
Fenders and aprons were painted body color, although either blue or black, might have been used, based on surviving samples. Records indicate only blue, however.
Striping of fenders and running gear began to be phased out about July on many cars."

Almost anything goes for that year, it seems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernd Lorenzen on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 08:20 pm:

Thanks, Roger,

I guess the model is going to get a very dark blue paint job. I also think it would correspond very nicely with the brass parts.

From rather cold northern Germany,
Bernd

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration