Axle Housing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Axle Housing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:53 pm:

What is the purpose of the small 3/8 inch hole in each rear axle housing directly in line with the brake cam.
Do I plug these ?
Members opinions are welcome
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:55 pm:

Grease fittings for outer axle bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:07 pm:

Gary,

I believe those holes should be tapped for the 1/8" pipe thread on the bottom of the grease fitting. They are available from the vendors.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:02 am:

Jack & Tom
Thanks for your input. These holes are on the outer side of the axle housing. They are covered with the outer axle seals. The brake drums would cover these and therfore I do not believe they are meant for grease fittings.
Any other members have suggestions
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:10 am:

The dimple on the roller bearing sleeve fits in the hole.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:10 pm:

The hole can be seen in Fig. 357 on page 156 of the service manual.
As the referenced hole doesn't seem to be used for anything, I would guess that it was used during production for alignment or similiar purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:20 pm:

Oops, I think I goofed.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration