Drive Shaft Spindle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Drive Shaft Spindle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:56 pm:

Re the 6 bolts holding the drive shaft spindle to the rear end.
Are lock washers recommended. I know lock washers were not installed by Henry, but I want to be safe.
How tight should these bolts be
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:16 am:

I believe these bolts had lock washers originally. (I am assuming you are talking about the later style with exposed bolts, not the early with studs & nuts...that kind used a lock wire.) How tight...rule of thumb I always heard was 15 ft.lbs for every 1/8" in diameter. I never torqued them, just got them gut-n-tite.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration