YOM: a precaution that may save you some time

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: YOM: a precaution that may save you some time
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:39 am:

Year of Manufacture laws that allow using old plates of the same year as the car now are in effect in most states. I believe we've had it in Kansas for at least fifteen years. That doesn't mean all police officers are familiar with it. After I was stopped by a highway patrol officer because I didn't have a current plate on my car, I sat for twenty minutes while he got on his radio and learned about the law. Now I carry a copy of it in the car with the registration and the insurance card, with the pertinent passages underlined. I assume mistaken stops like this are rare, but they do happen. Might as well be ready to help out an officer who is confused about the law.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Steve I had a similar experience with my 1972 Superbeetle. Police pulled me over and couldn't figure out how the YOM plate works. I broke it down real easy for him to understand and I sat there for 20 mins while he was playing on his radio. The next week I reregistered it and hung my YOM plate up in the basement, it wasn't worth it to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Your right Steve, Not all Officers are familiar with all of the various plates. I was also stopped because my "Horseless Carriage" plates did not have an expiration sticker... he couldn't believe that the state issued a plate that didn't expire:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 10:05 am:

In California, they have a small plate to attach with the YOM plate with current stickers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Here in Illinois I carry a copy of the laws as well – it's a simple little sheet of paper highlighted so the officer knows. Never been pulled over yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

I have been running YOM plates on vehicles for more than 20 years without incident here in California. The little tags give away the game to law enforcement officers but can be rotated out of view when needed.

Getting the plates registered to the car was a different matter. That took several trips to the DMV and hours of waiting in line. Nobody at the DMV office even was aware the program existed. I hope they are better trained up now!

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

"Give me the ticket sir, I would like your ignorance to be proven and documented by a court of law." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

A year or so ago, I was pulled over while driving my 1930 Model A Town Sedan. The officer had called-in the number on my 1930 plate as if it were a current tag, and it came back registered to a 1987 Peterbilt. He claimed to understand the YOM law, yet I had a heck of a time getting through to him how it was possible for a 1987 Peterbilt to have the same license number as my car. The 15-watt light bulb came on in his head after he called-in the number on my historic plate, which I carry in the car as required by law. When it checked out OK, he then tried to convince me that the real reason he stopped me was that he wanted a better look at the car. Yeah, sure. Whatever you say, officer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

So it's OK if the number on a YOM plate is already in use on a standard plate on another car or truck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

Come to Memphis! We have plenty of people driving moderns without plate and insurance. They won't bother an antique.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Years ago, the fine people of Microsoft moved into my town and decided it needed to be more
like Silicon Valley. Part of this program was removing all signs of "old", and the method of choice
was to buy out or harass all those oldtimers around to a point of either leaving or selling out. All
the cool old buildings were "renovated" into ginchy boutiques, and those of us with old cars were
relentlessly harassed for "safety stops" and paperwork reviews. At its worst, I might expect to have
a "roadside discussion" with my less-than-friendly local constable about 2-3 times a week. Others
in the old car circle were enjoying the same treatment.

For me, it came to a head when one Officer DeBoar, a large man of about 6'4" and 250lbs. took
exception to my YOM plates for about the fifth time, and when I got in his face about having done
this all before (as I produced the highlighted legal paperwork detailing the law and its application)
he trashed my 5'10" self into the side of the car, cuffed me up, and downtown we went for a strip-
out and a fresh orange jumpsuit. Let me not overlook the high fashion tan, one-piece cast plastic
flip flops !

I don't think I was in the cell more than about five minutes when the jailer came to tell me that I was
free to go. With a puzzled mind, I asked the jailer why, just 30 minutes earlier,I was being handled
like a bankrobber after a 5 hour standoff and shootout and now I was simply "free to go" .... she
said I "came back clear, and was free to go". So, I put on my clothes and asked for a ride back to
my car (about 2 miles out). This was denied, so I walked.

Once at the car, I proceeded straight to finding the right attorney for the job and directed said
barrister to "find happiness" for me, in regards to living and driving in the city. With more than
130 stops in the previous year, from that day forward I was never stopped again. Amazing how
that worked ! Later, the attorney and PI clued me in that a genuine under-the-table directive was
in place from the city council for the police and other public agencies to "clean up" the riff-raff in
town by whatever means necessary. The battle was won, but the war was lost. The place is hard
to even recognize anymore. An ocean of sprawl and delightful shopping opportunities. God, I
miss it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

YOM (vintage plates) registration in NYS turned out to be simple to obtain. Filled out the forms from DMV, included A FS-20 insurance card with "historical" typed on it, photocopy of my drivers license, copy of current registration, color picture of both plates (have to be original condition- not restored), and $3.75. I stopped at the local DMV to make sure all was in order then mailed the request to Albany, NY. Eight days later I had my new registration card with the YOM plate number on it. Good to go! However, I'll carry copies of the paperwork with me for WHEN I GET PULLED OVER!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

Mark, in Missouri there cannot be a YOM plate with the same number as a regular plate. Because I knew someone in the Dept. of Revenue (since retired) and a state legislator (also since retired), I was able to get my YOM plate by paying $10 administrative costs for the company whose truck had the same number to get a new plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 02:54 pm:

Thanks, Dick. I would hate to buy a YOM plate from T-bay or wherever, only to find out I can't use it because it has an active modern Missouri equivalent.

Every two years, when I have to get my 1971 Plymouth GTX inspected, I think about getting a YOM plate for it.

gtx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

In Kentucky, when your car displays YOM tags, it remains registered with its "Historic Motor Vehicle" tags, which must be carried in the vehicle at all times. The state DOT database doesn't know or care about the number on the YOM tags.

I have matched pairs of YOM plates for all my cars, so there's no chance of another car wearing an identical tag of the same vintage. In my case, the coincidence of a modern plate having the same number as my 1930 tags caused some confusion for the cop at first, but common sense ultimately prevailed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Dick, Try to find anybody that will run a yom number to see if it is free. Ain't gona happen no way no how with the current privacy laws. I have 25 and 26 yom plates and can not use them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

New Jersey doesn't allow YOM plates to be registered and "technically" doesn't allow them to be placed on your car.

They make you buy two QQ Historic Plates for your automobile although any car manufactured in 1945 or before is only required to run one on the rear of the car.

Police don't seem to be concerned with antique autos here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Texas has the law, but there can be a problem using YOM. In the twenties, Texas used six numbers (no letters) with a space in between each three numbers. Currently, Texas (government entity) exempt plates issued to municipality, public school district, and state agency vehicles mostly have the same pattern (six numbers). Even though I had YOM plates before, when I went to renew them, they ran the plate numbers through the computer and found the same numbers were issued to a school bus for a far west Texas school district. I don't remember how I did it, but I was allowed to keep and use the YOM plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

As mentioned above, California does have a YOM plate law.
However, when I went to register mine for my 1917 T, the clerk pulled out a book about the size of a telephone book to look up the number (she had a computer setting right on her desk). After quite a wait, she said it was clear.
Next, she looked up the tag (1916, 17, 18, and 19 plates are identical except for the metal tag riveted in the UL corner of the plate-- a bear, poppy, bell, or ? (can't remember the 4th one.) 1917 is a poppy and the only flower. She said she couldn't tell what kind of flower mine was. Took another 20 minutes to convince her it certainly wasn't one of the others, so had to be a poppy!
Next was the measurement. 1917 plates are 4" x 13". She pulled out a 12" ruler and was fine on the 4" measurement, but ran out of ruler on the 13" measurement. I could not convince her to estimate the last inch, or mark the plate and slide the ruler. After another 20 minutes, I finally had to ask for the manager, who couldn't stop laughing! Got it registered finally and received the paperwork about 3 days later.
Now my problem is I have 1914 plates for my '14 touring, but I'm afraid to go back to the DMV. I don't think I can take it :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 10:00 pm:

I have a nice pair of CA. 1951 plates with 52 54 tabs.
But I can't use them or sell them as there is a truck in San Jose with that same license number.
The DMV said I could contact the truck owner and offer to buy his truck or have him reregister it with new plates and a new number.
I am not that crazy about having YOM plates so I just keep the plates on the wall for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Schreier on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Here are a few Nebraska Revised Statute references that may be helpful for you guys from Nebraska.

YOM plates are authorized by Neb. Rev. Stat. §60-3,130.04 (Cumm. Supp. 2014) and can be found at http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=60-3,130.04

Additionally, historical vehicle license plates (but not year of manufacture) are governed by Neb. Rev. Stat. §60-3,130 (Reissue 2010) and can be found at http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=60-3,130

Finally, Neb. Rev. Stat. §60-3,133 (Reissue 2010), states that historical vehicles are only required to have equipment that was required when the vehicle was originally manufactured, and also that safety equipment that was original equipment when the vehicle was manufactured must be in proper working condition. This Statute can be found at http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=60-3,133

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Steven, I don't get that. How does "That number is (or isn't) currently being used" violate anybody's privacy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 12:29 am:

You can get a used or not used with no problem. You just can not get who owns the number to contact them about maybe re registering to clear that number. Sorry, I misstated the problem earlier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 01:03 am:

Aha, I've never tried that. Always checked the number before buying the plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 01:10 am:

This note below is going tomes with police officers. A 1951 plate and if you put one on your new car it will mess with them.

Notice: You may be seeing California's classic black-and-yellow license plate on the road again soon.

Under the state's new legacy license plate program, the Department of Motor Vehicles is offering motorists a chance to buy one of three classic designs, but only if enough preorders are placed before the end of the year.

The black plate with yellow lettering — used in the 1960s — was the first plate to meet the minimum 7,500 preorders by a Jan. 1 deadline. That means the DMV can move forward on processing orders and manufacturing the plates.

A yellow plate with black lettering from the 1950s and a blue plate with yellow lettering from the 1970s are also being considered, but they haven't met the threshold yet.

"I'm not sure why more people wanted the 1960s plate," said Jessica Gonzalez, a DMV spokesperson. She said the department is still taking preorders for the other two designs, "but I guess there's a lot of people out there that want a 1960s car that want to try to make it look as authentic as possible."

The program was created under Assembly Bill 1658, which was backed by Assemblyman Mike Gatto (D-Los Angeles) and enacted in 2012. Any design that meets the minimum preorder requirement will be made available for $50 as a special order. The price is the same for sequential — that is, a state-assigned number — or personalized, "vanity" plates.

The special plates can be preordered for any year automobile, commercial vehicle, motorcycle or trailer, Gonzalez said.

Purists should note the plates will be slightly different from the originals.

"We're trying to keep as authentic as possible, but there are new laws now in place where the plates have to be reflective, and back in the 1960s they didn't have to," Gonzalez said.

Anyone interested can grab a preorder application from the DMV's website. You can't file online, though, and field offices aren't even accepting the applications in person. Instead, you have to download, print and return the form by mail.

As of Friday, there were 1,820 preorders for the 1950s yellow plate and 1,473 for the 1970s blue plate. That leaves a pretty big gap, but there are still months to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:11 am:

License Plates are Kool!
I have YOMs on both my Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:28 am:

PA just recently started allowing YOM plates (for a nominal $75 on top of the $75 just to get an antique registration). What is nice is that you can research your own plate number online through the DMV to see if it is already in use before going to register it. I have not been stopped yet with one but I have a hunch that there is very little knowledge about them in the law enforcement departments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:32 am:

If my email ever comes up today (I keep getting a message from Yahoo saying that a server is down), I will try contacting the MO DOR with a list of plate numbers to see if they will tell me which ones are in use and which are clear. I'll let folks know what they say (if they respond). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Hmm,
"I'm not sure why more people wanted the 1960s plate," said Jessica Gonzalez, a DMV spokesperson."
Well, she doesn't know plate history. The "1963" issue black plate with yellow letters was in use until the Blue with Yellow numbers came around in 1970 (and in 1979 the seventh digit was added so only 9 years of use). LOTS of cars used the plates, and when the blue plates came along, the black plates were not "taken up" as had been the case with previous plate changes (When CA changed plate designs All cars got new plates that year, not just stickers, until this change; BTW this was made possible by reversing the number/letter sequence.). So, there will be more cars where the Black/Yellow plate was original equipment--partially because there was a recession then and fewer new cars were sold. The Blue/Yellow plates were ended in 1982, The Yellow with Black Letters started in 1956, and were designed with holes to carry metal year tags. I don't think those were ever issued, the year being on a sticker you put in the space between "CALIFORNIA" and the "1956" raised number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

If I recall correctly, you are required to have both YOM plates, and they can not have the same number as a modern one, but the county designations were different early in the 20th century so that is seldom a problem, they must be renewed each year, and only one plate needs to be displayed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

I still wonder about New York's "not restored" requirement. My first question would be "Why?" and my second would be "How do they know if it's restored or not?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

These plates contain my initials (sort of) and were on my dad's 55 Sunliner. California has not had a reissue since 1963.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Solak on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

Illinois doesn't get much right. But they nailed the year of manufacture thing

"Any person who is the registered owner of an expanded-use antique vehicle may display a historical license plate from or representing the model year of the vehicle, furnished by such person, in lieu of the current and valid Illinois expanded-use antique vehicle plates issued thereto, provided that the valid and current Illinois expanded-use antique vehicle plates and registration card issued to the expanded-use antique vehicle are simultaneously carried within the vehicle and are available for inspection."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason, Whittier, CA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

A few things California did right with the YOM plate regs:

(Quote)
•Vehicles with YOM plates: have full operating privileges, and are not restricted to participation in historical vehicle activities.

•Kit cars (SPCNS) of vintage automobiles (for example, a replica of a 1928 vehicle) do not qualify for YOM plates.
(End Quote)

The car is registered with the YOM plates, so there is no need to pull the 'official' plate out to show to the officer. I also carry a copy of the law, just in case.

I especially like the FULL OPERATING PRIVILEGES, and intend to make use of that.

Best regards and everybody please have a safe Independence Day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Boy, I really like that first bullet item, Brian.

As far as I know, YOM plates in MO have the same restrictions as Antique plates, i.e., must keep a mileage log, unlimited mileage for shows and club functions, but a limit of 1000 miles/year for non-maintenance "personal" use.

For the record, yes, my T has MO antique plates, and yes, I keep a mileage log and limit my "personal" mileage to less than 1000 miles/year.

Now, how many people in MO with YOM plates adhere to those rules, I have no idea... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 12:42 am:

A little off topic but the new owners of my business wanted to put a branded flag on top of one of the rides in my amusement park. (330 feet above grade) I spent a couple of hours looking this up in the Denver Zoning Code in order to find out if we could do this. The Zoning Code for Denver is 1263 pages long... Big brother is alive and well at the City level. I am glad that Federal laws did not address this. By the way we will not be allowed to fly a branded flag over our property despite the fact that we pay Denver a little over 2 million in property taxes a year on a 62 acre site! We could legally fly an ISIS flag though...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 09:22 am:

Steve - New York's requirement of "not restored" is ridiculous. The $3.75 fee however is a deal considering all of New York States fees). Once registered I don't think there is any DMV issue with restoring the plates. Luckily I had enough good YOM plates to pick the best ones. When I sent in my application with pictures of the unrestored plates I just held my breath......YOM plates now on the cars and all is good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:05 am:

I am going through getting a title for my restored 1921 Touring and finally starting to see daylight. I had no title, no bill of sale no nothing.
I am going through a bonded title service and I finally got it approved by the state. Plates are next and I'll get those when I get the title back from the state and pay the registration fee here in my county.

I also am getting the title for a 63 Ford Galaxie 500 2 dr hardtop. I just bought.

Long story on this one also and it had a title.

I'm getting a bonded title for it also. Another story.

In short the folks at the local tax office and DMV kind of get 'shell shocked' when you try to get a title transferred and which plates you can use for cars older than 25 years here in Texas.

You can find out the necessary info on the net for what you need as far as plates and driving old cars in Texas.

Why the folks at the tax office and the DMV know some of this is what I cant understand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

I carry in my T and A a copy of the DMV Code on registering old car plates every year. It states that if you have vintage plates you do not need an inspection or current year sticker on the plate. This helps when a do-gooder cop pulls you over and you show him the law. Works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

CT has YOM free registration paperwork which ties the plate back to your Early American or Antique regular registration, the plates of which should be carried in the vehicle. However, it is not cross referenced in the DMV data base, where it will come up invalid. Then you must inform the police officer of the statute's provisions and show the paperwork. The YOM can be restored or not, and even painted any color you want, supposedly to match your car's paint scheme. Pre 1914 CT plates did not show the state; only a changing color scheme proceeded by the letter "C". Have toured in many states and never been stopped, yet! CT will also allow you to register an originally issued YOM plate as a sub-registration to your Antique Plate. The only problem here is having to deal with your local tax collector who tries to tax the same car twice! Gave that option up after several trips to assessors office. Given all this, I feel CT is very accommodation to YOM plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Washington State has the YOM plate law. What most Gestappo does not know about the law is the actual plate number that is being used, is placed in the Equipment box on your title and registration. If I'm ever stopped I will simply show the officer my registration and point out the Equipment box with the plate number.

We have a local guy making leather license plates and they are accepted by the state license dept as long as they have a "Wa" on the plate.

In Washington State no official license plates were issued until 1916. So if you take a piece of wood or other flat surface and hand paint numbers of your choice and add "WA" it will be accepted by the state for cars manufactured up to 1916. I was told I could actually paint the numbers on the back of my barn fresh 1912 and as long as I brought the car down to the agency so they could photograph the number and if it had "WA" it was good to go.

Also in our state you can make a number the same as the year of manufacture, not only that if you have 2 cars manufactured in the same year{1915 and earlier cars) you can use the same number on both cars.

just sayin;

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 11:21 am:

A follow-up: I emailed the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) with a list of questions about YOM plates, here are my questions and their answers:

"I am considering getting a year-of-manufacture (YOM) license plate for my 1971 Plymouth GTX and I have a few questions:

1) I am told that Missouri only issued single plates in 1971, not pairs. If I got a YOM plate for the GTX, would I need a matching pair, or just one plate?

2) I have heard that the number on the YOM plate cannot match a number already in use. How do I determine if a number is in use before I purchase a YOM plate? Do I send you a list of numbers of YOM plates that are for sale (for instance, on Ebay), and you tell me which of those numbers are usable?

3) Since I just got a two year renewal on my standard Missouri plates, can I get a partial refund on the cost of the renewal if I surrender my standard plates and replace them with a YOM plate? If not, then I suppose I will hold off and revisit the YOM plate option when the standard plates are closer to expiration.

Thank you for your time."

Answers:

"1. The use of one YOM plate is acceptable. The plate should be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.

2. You are correct the configuration cannot match a current plate configuration. If you reply with a list of configurations you are interested in our office will advise you of the current availability.

3. You may wish to contact the refund staff (mvrefund@dor.mo.gov) to see if the registration fees from the second year are refundable. The partial first year is not.

· Please be advised, you may transfer the two year plate to another vehicle so that you do not lose the registration and may obtain YOM registration on this vehicle."

Based on the DOR's reply that the first year is not refundable, I think I'll wait until I have about six months left on my current plates before I start the process to switch over to a YOM plate.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Mark, you may have an easier time finding an unused combination for the Plymouth than the people with Model Ts. In the Model T days, Missouri plates were five digits or six digits, all numeric. Those are the plates currently used on trucks and buses, so the likelihood of duplication is higher. As I recall, 1971 plates were alphanumeric in a pattern not now used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hammatt on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

brasscarguy,
Thanks for mentioning the Washington State's YOM program and my making the leather plates (for all states). I do want to point out one very small detail. The "WA" you mentioned is, in fact, a "WN" in that era. When the USPS added ZIP Codes they also updated state abbreviations to standardize all states to a two letter code. At that time the WN switched to WA for Wash State. Note sure when the auto licensing changed.
Happy New Year!
Steve Hammatt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

In WI you can display YOM plates as long as you display your regular collector plates, but only if you're driving the car to, from, or in "special events" (parades, car shows, tours). However, running to the store in the Model T for a 12 pack of beer and a couple of frozen pizzas DOES NOT constitute a "special event"...even though many of us might consider it so. In that case, the YOM plates gotta come off and the regular collector plates have to go back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

OOPS! Should have a written that you can display YOM plates for "special event" as long as your regular collector plates are in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

In Michigan the process is different for a YOM plate than the others. YOM plates cannot be obtained at a local Sect. of State Office but have to be obtained by mail direct to Lansing. As a consequence the YOM plate numbers are not in the license plate data base available to the police when checking for valid plates. That may have corrected by now but caused a problem for a while. I carry the YOM registration and a copy of the YOM instructions.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration