What do you pull your car trailer with?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What do you pull your car trailer with?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

Probably going to have to upgrade my pickup to be able to handle my new enclosed 18' car trailer. I had them ad 18" in highth so I would not have to put the tops down on my T's. What are some of you using and if you had to do it over, what would you get?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

My toe vehicle is a 1997 F150 with tow package, heavy duty tires, 4.6L engine. Pretty sure it is going to be to light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

I use a 2015 Ram Black Express. It's a regular cab shortbox with a hemi. Works real good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

2004 Silverado 1/2 ton with 5.3. Pulls my 18 foot fine. I use a WD hitch. Next one will be a 3/4 ton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

Harry - you will be on the high end of the trucks capabilities for sure. Mine is almost at max GCVWR with everything loaded up and a full tank of fuel. Although it has zero issues handling the trailer, I wouldn't pull a bigger one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

2004 Ford F250 CC V10, no issues pulling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

I do have to have a long bed. I put my quadricycle in the pick up and T in the trailer. The quad is 6'6". The bed on a F250 with jump seat is 6'2".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

2004 Ford F-250 V10 been loving it for the past eleven years pulling a 20 foot trailer with Ts and Ford V8s inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

1973 Suburban 350/350 with 3/4 rear end, originally used to pull a Winnebago vacation trailer. Hauls Model T's very well. The downside is stinking gas mileage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

This is my rig.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

A 2012 Ram 1500 four door 4x4 Hemi. I love it. Rides like a car. Get average mpg with loaded trailer into the wind up and down hills - 14-16 mph. No trailer 16.5-20 mph. Depends on wind direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

My Ford dealer is recommending a F150 with heaviest towing package and V6 Eco boost which has an unbelievable 365 hp and 420 torque. That is very close to their 6.2L gas V8 that is an option on their F250. The other engine option on a F250 is the 6.7 turbo diesel.. The extra 18" highth is going to catch a lot of wind even with the V nose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

I will find out a lot about my current situation next Wednesday when I head for Old Threshers in Mt Pleasant, Iowa. 160 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

We use a Chevy C3500 duely crew cab. Great truck but bad gas mileage with the 454.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Drive mine but I thinking I have trailer the new tt if I go to far

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

2011 Jeep with "Hemi" engine:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

2011 Silverado 1500 with 403hp 6.2L gas... It usually doesn't have to work this hard. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Hal, does your Jeep have a solid rear axle or independent suspension? If independent, any issues pulling the trailer?
Is the hitch anything special?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

I pull an 8ft tall trailer with 2 T's behind a diesel pusher motor home for long trips, and, for short trips I use a 4-door Dodge dually with a Cummins diesel. I wouldn't do anything different, but, I don't think I could justify either one if I just used them to haul T's! A tall enclosed trailer catches a lot of air. IMHO it would be very hard on anything less than a 3/4 ton diesel pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

I pull an 8 ft. tall x 23 ft. (18ft. Box with 5ft. V-Nose) trailer using a 2000 Tundra V8 P/U. It normally gets 16 - 20 mpg with out the trailer.....10 mpg with trailer. It struggles a little on hills....down shift and buzz the engine. Does not over heat and gets the job done.
This is my 3rd. enclosed trailer....the other's were not v-nose. I like pulling the v-nose better than conventional flat front enclosed trailers. Having a 5ft. v-nose allows tighter turns and easier to back up. My trailer has 5K torque flex axles and weighs 4500 lbs. empty. It's a well built trailer.....much better compared to my previous enclosed units. I feel it tows easier than my previous enclosed trailers that were not v-nose and were standard height.
My 32 ft. class A RV on a Workhorse chassis easily pull my trailer. The 5 ft. v-nose is great for having a wench and extra storage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

So Steve Jelf, is the first picture that of your new tow truck being hauled home? It may get better gas milage but...........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 12:18 am:

1949 Pontiac convertible….

(July 1952 - rented four wheel trailer and bumper hitch.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 02:08 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 06:16 am:

My tow car. You won't see to many of these in the US

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ireland, Montrose, Iowa on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 06:37 am:

Harry. I pull a 16' V nose with the extra height for my 26 Touring. I use my 2013 Ford F 150 V6 Eco boost and the heavy duty tow package. It pulls every thing with ease. Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 07:30 am:

Thanks all. Dave especially about the V6 Eco Boost. Hope to see you at Mt Pleasant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 07:51 am:

2006 Dodge Cummins Turbo diesel. Perhaps the best diesel pickup ever built. Great truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 08:33 am:

Harry, I have the exact same truck. Went to Minnesota to pickup my '13 touring in my 16' enclosed trailer. Plenty of hills, yes, cruise control spent plenty of time in 3rd. rather than O.D., but it did fine. I used to pull a 6,000 lb. boat plus trailer with no trouble either. Grunts a bit for a small V8 but can handle it. I say keep it, you already know what makes that truck tick! Same fuel mileage towing as the Eco V6 by the way. 10 mpg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Harry, I had a '97 F150 with 4.6 that was two wheel drive and all around pretty light weight. I now have a '13 F150 with ecoboost that has the heavier tow package but not the heavy duty one and it has the higher gears. It is a good truck and can pull anything I have to hook up to with ease. (Century Coronado boat, small skid loader, 20 foot enclosed trailer with a T in it.) You really don't know it is back there except when you look at the gas gauge.

One disclaimer- Don't expect the advertised mpg advertised. I reset mine at the beginning of the summer and have driven 8,000 miles and it shows 17.0 MPG's I think if I kept it under 70mph I would do a lot better.

I would recommend equalizer/anti-sway hitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Harry, You will find the extra 18" will give you a great deal of resistance. It will act as an air brake. My 18 foot trailer is an extra 12 inches tall and going down hill if I back off just a little (F250 Turbo diesel extended cab, 8 foot bed) and try to get a little coasting, the rig slows down. I was supporting a Cannonball rider last September. When I hit head winds in Kansas I couldn't hold speed with cruise control. All that was in the trailer was about 1,500 pounds plus the 3000 pound weight of the trailer. Get the most truck you can afford, you won't regret it. If I get another truck, it will be crew cab with 8 foot bed. BTW, I was out pulling another cannonball support truck easily, a 1 ton Chevy turbo diesel under the same conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 10:31 am:

I use my 24 ft. v-10 class C motor home ( my T is my tow car when we travel) or my 04 Chevy 1500. A 1/2 ton with a 5.3 will tow up to about 4000 lb. without too much struggling but any thing heavier needs more power. We have towed our 24 ft travel trailer at 4000 lb. all over the west up and down mountains with no problem but a 5.8 would have been better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 10:55 am:

'96 F-250 w/460 gas pot - pass everything but a gas station !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 11:08 am:

It's what's up front that counts,and never let the tail wag the dog!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

I noticed my extra tall trailer with a 5ft. v-nose pulls easier compared to my two previous enclosed stand height trailers with flat fronts.
Having a sharper (5ft.) v-nose may be working better compared to even a 2ft. v-nose.

My current trailer is heaver than previous trailers.

This is what I have experienced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

Always an F350 Quad Cab Dually w/ a 7.3 PSD

Anything less is not up to the task ....

If you rely on your truck for work - sooner or later you are gonna drive a Ford ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

2000 F350 7.3 Diesel 4x4. Much better fuel mileage than a gas engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

Barry,

Do you keep the block heater plugged in full time during the Winter ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

Freighter Jim,

I'm betting Barry can't keep the block heater plugged in full time during the winter unless he has a very, very long extension cord! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

Royce,

Your truck is the wrong color !! <grin> :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

Dennis, you are very correct!

Jim: I will plug in the block heater two or three hours before needing to drive the truck. Of course I use the appropriate mix of anti-freeze.

Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Mathis, Van Buren, AR on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

2000 Ford F250 with 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel. Made a train going to 2013 Winter Tour in Mobile, AL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

When we had our 27' Jayco fifth wheeler i used to haul the 18' enclosed with the T on the back! 67' and the 7.3 power stroke up front! It was so long they used to save us a parking place where i could drive in and out at the OCF!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

We've had a lot of trouble with our fleet of Ford trucks. Ball joints wearing out in literally 20,000 miles! F250s & F350s

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Correll - Carlsbad CA on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Previously a Toyota Tacoma V-6 Double Cab long bed with open flatbed Featherlite Model 3111 car hauler. Upgraded to Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel V-8 Lariat crew cab 4x4 and enclosed 26 ft. Featherlite Model 4926. The upgrade is WAY nicer to tow long distances. Tracks and handles nicely. No strange wiggles or pushing from the trailer. However, the longer trailer is a pain in any city. Trailer is to fit both our 1914 T and our 1912 Michigan. I'm looking to put a rear camera on the trailer to see when I'm past other cars and objects. The mirrors work, but that's a long ways back there. The entire rig is 50 feet long overall.
Long Rig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

I would have a lot of embarrassment trouble owning a big modern truck and a
trailer larger than most houses in the Third World.

Such conspicuous consumption runs contrary to my organic view of our place
in history and the very reason I own a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Mathis, Van Buren, AR on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

Isn't it great living in a free country - different strokes for different folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Friday, August 28, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

I tow a two car 20K GVWR eight feet tall trailer with an F-450. The combination will haul most any typical passenger car or truck, new or old.

For this year's New London to New Brighton Run I had Ned Protexter's F-150 crew cab and a Scion IQ rental car in my trailer. The clearance between the fender wells in the trailer and the running boards on Ned's truck was about half and inch on each side. Getting Ned's truck in the trailer wasn't too bad; getting it out was another story.

The F-450, with or without the trailer, will pass anything but a fuel station.Truck and TrailerNed's truckScion IQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 11:32 am:

2012 one ton GMC dually pulling a 20 foot box trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 11:44 am:

Craig,

I noticed Sam's Club in Renton, WA has a dash mount camera package w/ a rear camera connected by cable.

If the cable was lengthened - it could be mounted on
the rear of the trailer - don't know if adding cable would
diminish signal quality ...

Package was under $300.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 11:49 am:

When I was considering a tow vehicle I asked for input from fellow antique car folks with open and closed trailers. Many assured me that a half ton pickup would be adequate. This just didn't sit well with me as I had experienced two towing mishaps when "the tail had wagged the dog". One was weather related and the other was due to equipment failure, received the tee shirt and soiled laundry that accompanies these events.

I opted for a 2003 Ford F-250 standard cab, 8' bed, 2WD. I feel better with a heavier truck. My two cents worth, perhaps over valued. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

1999 Dodge with a Cummings and a Banks kit. 21 miles to a gallon. I have a friend with the V10 gas engine and he gets seven m.p.g.

Dodge

The plastic parts of the bumper were gray plastic and I painted them flat black. I think it looks
nice.

black

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

Mileage depends on your speed. I have a 2004 F-250 V-10, standard shift. I get 12+ miles to the gallon if I keep it right on the speed limit, pulling a 20ft trailer. 16+ without the trailer. I figure the cost of fuel evens out with the expense and maintenance of what I have heard other people spend on a diesel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

Here is my old set up - still have the trailer that gets used the odd time.

Once I got an enclosed the Dakota was definitely at the end of it's rope. Lots of power, but the size just wasn't enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

I wonder if a wireless security camera could be adapted for a view behind the trailer? There are camera/monitor packages available. Depending on package a 12v to 115 volt converter might be necessary for the monitor. Take the monitor with you to the motel room and you may be able to keep tabs on the trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

I've got one of these and love it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Truck-Trailer-Reversing-Kit-9-LCD-Monitor-Backup-2- CCD-IR-Camera-12V-24V-/251988609952?hash=item3aabb10ba0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

2011 Ford F-350 Diesel,love it. It has a ton of torque and runs overdrive even with two cars in the trailer. I have 83,000 on it so far and plan on running it until the new ones come out with the Aluminum Body in a couple of years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

This is my 5th wheeler that I built to go behind my Isuzu D-Max. Tows very nicely. The 5th wheel is a Hayman Reece R16, rated to 3 ton, though the trailer is rated at 4.5 ton.The Isuzu handles a 3 ton load well, returning around 17 litres / 100 k's (16 mpg) at 90 to 100 k's/hr. I've ben told that I can improve the fuel consumption by changing the chip, but not too worried at this time. I have set the trailer up so I can unbolt the tray and fit my home built van on the same chassis... works well when I want to go for a trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

1976 VW Camper
T & VW.JPG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 09:56 am:

I am absolutely disgusted by the poor quality and minimal wear of the ball joints & tie rods of Ford trucks, especially the F250 & F350. This is not on 1 or 2 trucks, but happening on our whole fleet of them! Why no grease fittings? If it was up to me I would not buy another truck till they made ball joints last well over 20,000 miles!!! This has been my experience servicing these trucks. Our drivers do use them off road. It is all city driving. Now our Dodge Cummins 2500s have been great! No experience with the Chevy trucks, but would imagine their ball joints are lasting more than 20,000 miles?

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 10:17 am:

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram. It is a heavy 1/2 ton 318 engine with auto trans. When dad ordered it he had the towing package added. Manual lockout sprag in trans, heavy radiator, and full size trans cooler. I added heavy shocks when we got it to pull our 21 foot Outback travel trailer with. I also have full equalizer hitch set up with sway bar. It pulls it OK. I am at its limits in the hills of Arkansas. I just ordered my car hauler trailer. It is supposed to be delivered about mid January. It is a 20 foot trailer and with a T and other things it should still weigh less than our Outback travel trailer. So Im hoping it pulls OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Ford F-250 Turbo Diesel towing a 24' V-front trailer. Tows real nice, and not too bad on gas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

Any one have experience with Hino trucks? I hear they are dependable and some get excellent mileage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Paul, Whilst I haven't owned Hinos myself, I know several people who use them . I had several Isuzu trucks in my business and drove some of the most remote back roads in outback Australia in them and they never let me down. I think the Jap manufacturers have pretty well got their act together when it comes to serviceability and reliability. I posted a picture of my tow vehicle above , it is an Isuzu Twin Cab , and the reason I bought it was the good service I had from the trucks when the business was operating. Close to 100000 kilometres now... so far so good!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

My 2011 Jeep Summit w/35000 miles on it is still going strong with no mx so far. 11 mpg pulling the T on the trailer 15 to 16 mpg around town using the middle pump. Very happy with it.

My wife is in the picture at Echo Lake Rest Stop, Utah, on our way to Wisconsin. That's the picture WAY up there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

I hear mixed reports on American brand trucks. Early Dodge is great. Late Dodge is not. Twice this past week friends are dropping five to eight K on transmissions in them. As far as cars go the Jap cars I have are very dependable and mileage is 35-45 mpg. In my old age there is plenty of interesting driving close to home with a T so guess that's where I will stay!!

Happy New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

Harry, you will appreciate the extra height on the trailer. I had a 16 footer 8ft high to haul my T's (1912 depot hack and 24 touring) and when on tour we had the benefit to use it as a garage when we returned from the days tour. I upgraded the trailer to a 24ft, 8ft high after the purchase of a 27 Marmon. I used, and still use a 2006 Ford E250 super duty with the 354 v8. I have no problem pulling the trailer with any of my cars in it but of course I always lockout the over drive. No jack rabbit starts but it gets the job done effectively.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

For 12 years I pulled a closed 24-foot Featherlite trailer, sometimes towing two (small) antique cars, with a V-8 Volkswagen Touareg. In May I traded the 2004 V-8 for a 2015 V-6 turbo diesel. !4 mpg pulling the trailer, almost 29 mpg traveling without it. Lots of power, great roadholding, comfortable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

I sense a common theme here: "My setup is perfect, your's is inadequate." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

I used a 99 Dodge 1 ton dually but it didn't have enough interior room so I now use a 2002 Ford Super Duty Super Cab ford 350 Dually for door. The dodge got 14 MPG and so does the Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

Eric....that's funny. When it comes to trucks, that's usually the theme. I can tell you though, I wouldn't put any more weight behind my 1/2 ton.

I have been on the hunt for a 3/4 ton but every wants a fortune for used rusty crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

I towed a car on a trailer it was a 26 Studebaker Big 6 on a single axle behind a late 60's Chevrolet Station wagon. I towed it on the Freeway back in the late 70's early 80's. If I had know better I would have wet my pants when it started to do the lane change dance. The other time was a 28 Chevrolet chassis on a farm trailer behind a tractor. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

Mark, You shouldn't get that "lane change dance" if at least 10% of the trailer load is forward.....unless there is a problem with car/trailer alignment, like a crooked or misaligned trailer axle. IMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

My 2012 Ford Falcon does the job nicely. 2300 kg capacity tow bar, 250ci 6yl petrol engine towed the old T around Australia no problems. I used a converted caravan to house the Model T
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:01 am:

Hal that was my first (and last) solo experience at towing with a trailer at those speeds or any for that matter (except for the 28 chev). I was like 19-20 years old at the time! :-)

Paul V re Hino trucks. When I worked for the mailing company we had one that I drove. That was back in the 90's and as I recall was really supper easy to drive around town. Delivered pallets of TV Host to the Post Office. I know I hauled more then it's rated gross a few times, loved setting off all those BMW car alarms. :-) LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 10:57 am:

What ever anyone uses,the one thing that remains is NEVER LET THE TAIL WAG THE DOG!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 11:48 am:

I'm probably the light-weight around here. I tow my Touring car or my Center Door with my 2005 Honda CR-V. It only has a 2.4L engine with a five speed transmission, but seems to do pretty well. The fact that the trailer is aluminum probably helps.

The hitch is a class III and with a fair amount of weight forward, it trails straight with no fish-tail.

Bill

trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryce Putnam Peoria AZ on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

I pull my Center door in a Carson Fun Runner toy box with a 2006 Toyota Tundra 4.7l V8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

I got rid of my 2004 f150 ford because I couldn't afford to replace the transmission and rearend, again. So,I bought a 2008 2500 Silverado. I've had it for a couple years and I love it.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 2004 Dodge Ram. I need something with 4 doors. The Chevy is for the fifth wheel camper and the dodge is for the little trailer with the T on it.

I drove Ford nearly all my adult life. I always liked them. But that darn F150 just didn't cut it for me. It seemed underpowered, rattled like crazy, rode like a, well, like a truck and it sucked fuel worse than the Chevy 2500. The heaviest thing I ever pulled with it was a 14 foot single axle trailer with a 1922 Ford touring car on it. I bought it brand new and drove it 9 years. I guess I just couldn't stand the thought of someone else getting stuck with that piece of crap.

Prior to the F150 I had a 2002 Durango. I had it for 18 months and traded it for the 2004 Ford. It proved to be a mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Michael,

I hear your pain!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

Still driving my '97 F150 everwhere..150K miles..went from N.central Ohio to Minneapolis to fetch my '13 with it...no problems. I agree with Ken/Bud...keep 'er straight behind you! I use an anti-sway bar and love it. I also have a very specific spot to plunk the cars which seems to make a difference too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration