TT question about mounting cab to chassis

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TT question about mounting cab to chassis
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

Hey guys !
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas !!
I have a question about mounting the cab of a 24/25 TT to the chassis , are there wood blocks or do they just mount to the frame , I would assume there were blocks , but since the cab and chassis were not together when acquired , I do not know for sure . thanks and happy new year !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

My '25 closed cab has blocks. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 12:46 am:

Mine too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

Thanks ! Does anyone know where I can buy the blocks or get a drawing so I can make them ? They were non existent on the TT that my dad and I are finally building , the cab came from Nebraska and the chassis were using came from Wyoming so.... Any help will be appreciated , thanks .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 06:00 am:

I think only the 26/27 passenger car blocks are made. Haven't seen a Ford steel truck cab up close, they weren't imported here, but I suppose the subframe is made of top hat beam profiles open in the bottom like on the 26/27 cars? In that case the blocks fills up the profile so you can bolt the cab to the frame brackets without the subframe touching the frame or the long bolts crushing the profile :-)

With the cab in place, I suppose it's possible to conclude what's needed in blocks?

24/25.. Do you have a 1924-27 C-cab or a 1925-27 closed cab?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 07:03 am:

My C cab is directly on the frame with no blocks. Closed cabs must have been different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:04 am:

There are no body blocks on TTs--Closed or Open (C-Cab) trucks. The only wood blocks used were under the hood latches. Even the crankcase blocks were eliminated when the frame-to-engine brackets were used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:28 am:

Justin , where in western pa are you located ? I'm about 15/20 miles south of Erie pa. So far 2 for blocks , 2 against ,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:31 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/319257.html?1351572683

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/24338.html?1170643138

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Travis, I'm just outside of Oil City. I used to get up your way occasionally to eat at the Waterford Hotel. Little kids keep us closer to home now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:53 am:

If you are talking about the Roadster Pickup noted in your profile, that is NOT a TT and will use blocks. If you are talking about a Ford produced Ton-Truck, it will NOT use body blocks.

What do you have? Post a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 09:01 am:

You're right Mark--Looked at the first link. I keep forgetting about that front block for some reason. I even had to make some of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Hi Ken , working on a 24/25 TT project with my father , it is a ton truck , worm drive , will post pics of what we have done so far , just finished re-riveting the front cross member and a different rear spring shackle ? Not sure what that is called but it holds the springs in the rear cross member , his was bad so we changed it , made up a slick tool out of a harbor freight air chisel and a torch , they look ok . Justin , oil city isn't that far away , do you know of any other "local" t people ? We have three boys and a farm so I know all about staying close to home lol !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

And thank you mark for the link , will be making a set of those for sure !! My dad has 2 c-cab projects in the line up as well , he's been gathering ( hording ) t parts for like 25 years , and I finally convinced him to start working on them , he's getting kind of excited about it now , I believe through watching my boys and I working on ours , he's even talking about building a garage strictly for the old fords to park them in once they're done :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

Ken K.,

There are more wood blocks on a TT - the ones under the running boards and the one between the lower steering bracket and the chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Henry, there's another place that I don't have wood blocks. Being a C cab, I have the short boards which are notched out to fit over the running board mounts. I put them on without blocks and my fenders line up great.

Were the notched running boards supposed to get blocks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

Justin,

I don't think the fact that your TT is a C cab has anything to do with it having short (15") or long (18") running boards. Earlier TTs all had the short ones and later TTs all had the longer ones. I'm not sure what you mean by "notched", but as far as I know all TT running boards had blocks between the running board and the bracket.

Ford manufactured C cabs for the TTs from 1924 through 1926. As near as I know the short running boards were replaced with the long ones in 1923 or 1924. So, it appears your chassis and cab may not be the same year model. Of course this is no big deal, there weren't very many changes to the TT chassis from beginning to end of production.

A couple of thing to look at for clues:

1. Does it have a metal or wood fire wall?
2. What patent plate is on the fire wall?
3. Measure the length of chassis rear cross member. If it's 32" long with one hole at each end it's an early chassis, 34.5" with 2 holes on each end it's a later chassis.
4. Do the rear end clam shells have a bead at the axle tube? If so its a very early chassis, if not then a later one.
5. Does it have a low or high radiator?

I can't think of any other changes to TT chassis over the years of production. Even with the "clues", it's often impossible to pinpoint the exact year of a TT chassis. Of course if it has the original engine just look up the number and get a date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Henry,
Based on all of the original ads that I have seen, all C cabs had the short running boards and all closed cabs had the long "boot scraper" boards. The longer boards were to account for the wider doors. My chassis is mostly 1925 parts and the cab is '24 or '25.

Below are the pictures of the notches which are actually on both versions of the boards that I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

Justin,

Thanks for posting the photos. It makes what you're talking about clear. My truck is an '18 with short running boards. I just went out and checked. They do not have the notch like yours. So, it seems I need to add another change to my list. It appears that Ford made a change to the running boards when he started offering cabs. Adding the notches eliminated the blocks.

This is very interesting. I wonder why/how I never stumbled on this before. Until now I always thought the short boards were replaced with the long ones, simple. I have never heard or read that both were used at the same time depending on cab type.

P.S. Are you sure that first photo is really a TT? Mine isn't nearly as shiny and clean. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

Well, it wasn't so shiny when we pulled it from the barn. I love the patina look but I have my limits!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

From the TT’s I’ve seen, the C-Cabs had no wooden blocks under the cab – they bolted directly to the frame brackets. The closed cab TT’s, however, appeared to have wood blocks at both the front and rear cab attachment points. See photos.

As for the running boards, all the long “boot scraper” boards I’ve seen had the inside lip notched to clear the running boards brackets and thus no wood under those boards. On the “shorty” running boards, I’ve seen them both ways – with and w/o the notches. The earliest ones with the smaller ¼” mounting holes had no notches and were presumably mounted with wood blocks under them. Same for the ones with 5/16” mounting holes. When Ford added two extra holes for the battery bracket straps, I’ve seen shorty’s both ways with regard to the notches, so I don’t know what to understand. Adding the notches meant you had right and left versions to contend with – just like with the long boot scraper boards. Interestingly, when the battery bracket holes were added it seems both sides got the holes even though only the driver’s side used them.
Early Shorty boards
Late Shorty boards, one with notches and one without

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

The TT running boards, short and long, were used on both the C-Cabs and Closed cab trucks. It wasn’t based on cab type, but rather on year of production according to period photographs. If you like Ford trucks try finding a copy of “Ford Trucks Since 1905” by James K Wagner. The book is arranged by year with many original photos. In the 1925 era you see all the TT’s, C-cab and closed, with short running boards. In 1926 they all have long running boards, including the C-cabs.

I cannot reproduce pictures from the book here, but I found two closed cab TT photos on the MTFCI truck forum showing closed cab trucks with what appears to be short running boards.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

I don't think that you will find a C cab that was built with long boards. I see some restored ones that have them but I believe them to be incorrect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Running board question...what are the two holes near the inside edge for on the passenger's side. The matching holes on the driver's side are for the battery bracket. I see the same issue with the short boards pictured above.
running boards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Maybe it was if you wanted to carry an extra battery or have a right hand drive TT...??

At least the "Ford" was turned around from side to side on the long boards. The short boards with the edge notches were exactly the same so the script on them is legible in opposite directions when installed.

(Message edited by JunkyJud on January 01, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 07:35 am:

Rich - The frame you show in the pictures of the blocks on the Closed Cab isn't even a TT frame. It looks like a car frame. The rear of the truck bodies bolted directly to a double-holed frame bracket shared with the bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 09:10 am:

It is a TT frame but an earlier one without the double hole mounts. Pre '23?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Ah, ok. It didn't look deep enough. Still a mismatch trying to mount a newer cab to it. It's like trying to mount a 26-27 car body on 19 frame and saying the made-up brackets were original. But, you can drive anything you want. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

Here's a couple pics of where we're at with it today :-)Q

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration