Hemmings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hemmings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

Has anyone else got their Feb. copy of Hemmings.
I thought Bruce McCulley was the guy who authored "From Here To Obscurity" It says in an ad for a 1909 it was Ray Miller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David M. Coleman - Grand Marais, MN on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

My (early) copy says by Ray Miller & Bruce McCauley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David M. Coleman - Grand Marais, MN on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

"McCalley" ; damn autocorrect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

They worked together on the "Here to Obscurity" and a few other things. Later they parted ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

I don't think they exactly "parted ways". At the time of the book's first publishing, If my memory is correct, Bruce and Ray both lived in southern California and were members of the same club. When Bruce's first wife passed, he moved East. I don't know Ray's current status, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has left us, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

They wrote Here to Obscurity together as the both live in the San Fernando Valley (Beautiful Downtown Burbank). Later Ray moved to Catalina, I think he was there when we had the MTFCA tour to the island in 1980. Bruce spent most of the eighties working full time for the MTFCA and I took over the business side in 1991. Jay took over the editor duties and later took the business side also. At that time Bruce moved to Pennsylvania and then married Barbara who was writing cooking articles for the Vintage Ford. Bruce past about three or four years ago and I lost track of Ray but I seem to remember he too has passed.
Incidentally, the chapter to which they both belonged, the San Fernando Chapter has recently closed. Driving Model Ts in the LA area, indeed almost anywhere along the coast, is very difficult and even dangerous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:10 am:

Wayne Sheldon and Terry Woods in their posts just above in this thread, came pretty close to an "issue" that I don't think too many people know about, and I'm not going to go into too much detail here, but Wayne said,...."They worked together on the "From Here to Obscurity" book and a few other things. Later they parted ways." And Terry said,...."I don't think they exactly "parted ways".

One of the "other things" Bruce did was to write a book called, "Model T Ford - The Car That Changed The World", published by Krause Publications in 1994. I have a copy of that book that Bruce autographed for me at the last Chickasha Swap Meet that he attended. At that time, he pointed out a large gold star shaped design at the lower left hand side of the jacket on that book, and he explained to me why it was there. In that gold shaped star are the words, "An Old Cars Classic History by Bruce W. McCalley". Bruce said that the gold star was placed on that jacket to cover up words that detracted somewhat from the credit for the book that rightfully belonged to him (Bruce) but credit had originally been partially attributed to a second party. I believe Bruce was too much of a gentleman to explain this to very many, and certainly not publicly, but for some reason, he felt the need to explain it to me. Not sure it's my place to explain this in any more detail, but I think there are a few others who know that Bruce was pretty bitter about the whole issue and why. FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

I'll keep it short but try to keep our modern history in order. No tiff between Bruce and Ray, like all of us they didn't agree on everything but no parting of ways. As for the book From Here to Obscurity. They both wanted to see a book done. Initially Ray more than Bruce. Ray had the publishing ability and twisted Bruce's arm a little. Bruce had the majority of the T knowledge, and so credit Bruce with the content, Ray for pushing a little and getting it published.

Ed aka #4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 01:27 am:

That explains the gold star! On the inside of my copy is taped a "Entry Label" for the "1995 Benjamin Franklin Awards" My copy has a printing date of 1994.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration