Hand brake removal and pawl replace

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hand brake removal and pawl replace
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Perkins on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

After removing the hand brake rivet and installing a new pawl and controller quadrant, can I use a bolt to reattach the hand brake to the rod instead of a rivet? Seems this would make it easier to remove the hand brake over time if need be. If so, what size bolt would I use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

That is what I did. Make sure you use lock washer or stop nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Go ahead, but NOS rivets are everywhere!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

Only 4 bolts that hold on the brake lever assembly to the frame can't see why that rivet needs to be removed. The paw rivets to the handle easy enouf once it's removed from the car. The rack however on the frame I bolted back on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Mark, the handle should be riveted. The rivet will swell to fill the hole, making a tight fit. A bolt will not do that. Bob does the job the same way as me. Leave the handle undisturbed. Take the cross member out of the car and work on the pawl then.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Best to use rivets on the hand brake pawl and the quadrant. Your parking brake is required to hold the T. Important to use factory rivet method IMHO.

The pawl uses a step rivet, allows the pawl to stay in place without wobble, that would disengage the brake. Plus space is small for nut bolt and lock washer, and the bolt threads will wear in the pawl hole, and wobbly pawl will happen.

Do the job right, stay safe, and the correct work will last another 80 years :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

I recently had to replace a pawl that I installed in the early '60s. Even though I'm careful not to drag it across the quadrant, it still wore out after over 50,000 miles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 02:14 am:

I may well be wrong, but I read the OP as meaning he wants to bolt the hand brake handle to the cross shaft. That being said, I wouldn't do that myself. As was said, it isn't hard to remove the complete assembly. If that isn't what he meant, never mind! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 06:26 am:

I have a question as I have to do this job myself. On the new rivet, do you have to heat the end to be peened over so it is more malleable?

I have never done riveting before, so I am curious how this gets done. I also have to replace the quadrant too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 10:39 am:

You can just beat the rivet without heat when replacing the pawl. I just did it a few months ago and it worked fine provided you remove the whole hand brake arm and cross shaft from the car to do the work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 10:44 am:

The brake assembly rivets are very easy rivets to set. You set the manufactured head of the rivet on a piece of bar stock or an anvil. Hit the other end with a hammer. Really easy.

The rivets that hold the hand brake ratchet quadrant to the frame need to be heated and set using a rivet gun and bucking bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Here's an earlier thread from Steve Jelf on installing frame rivets: :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/344478.html?1362178619

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 02:18 pm:

I have been welding up and grinding the pawl' to shape in place with good results.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration