1926 Fordor Tool Set

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926 Fordor Tool Set
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Ensinger on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Any ideas on where would I find a complete tool set for my 1926

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Swap meets, antique shops, eBay

Here is a start on eBay now for a few of the tools.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ford-Model-T-tools-late-style-painted-combo-wrench-open-end-spk-plg-/321961911695?hash=item4af66ce58f:g:5S8AAOSw14xWKX4~&vxp=mtr

A complete tool kit would display like this:

Missing would be Owners Manual and Tire patch kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Ensinger on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Thanks Dan, I've been trying swap meets (Hershey ACA recently), antique shops and eBay. Partials, but nothing complete yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Usually takes a while to complete a kit.

You find each tool one at a time. The fun is researching the proper tool for 1926 car. The jacks are the later pressed steel, and the hub cap wrench is the one with the flange for front wheel bearing work.

Carry the Parts and Price Book page with you to locate, these pictures are pretty close to what you want to find. Most have Ford script only, the tools with Ford USA are normally later Model A tools. But lots of changes, and really no accurate data on tool changes or what they look like other than the Parts Book touch-up drawings.

Even the tool pouch is different between years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:35 pm:

The ratchet jack isn't supposed to be a flip top, without the hole through the sides?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 12:00 am:

If the car is equipped with wire wheels, it should also have the lug nut wrench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 07:12 am:

Don't be fooled by the word "RARE" when you look on e-bay or at flea markets. Most of the tools can be purchased for a couple of dollars not much more. The exception would be the "correct" wood handled screw driver. They are hard to find in good condition because the wood rotted or it was hit with hammers too many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 07:31 am:

Well, no need for a correct screwdriver for a 1926, since they were discontinued in 1921.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Roger, You mean that the square shanked screw driver is not correct and was not used from 1921 to 1927? Wow, I've never seen that on the Forum, before. I must have missed something. Everybody seems to be hunting for the elusive square shanked screw driver and forking over big bucks (usually) for them, like I did. If the more common round shank, wooden handled screw driver is correct for those years, this info is a game changer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Hi Terry,

To expand upon what Roger states in his post above, the screwdriver was DISCONTINUED, not used at all. The pliers had a flattened ground tip on one handle to be used as a screw driver.

Tool kits from 1922 and up did not have a screwdriver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:52 am:

Facts...obsoleted Oct 1920 :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

Of course, if you need to drive a screw, a real screwdriver is a lot more handy than a plier handle - just my opinion. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

I think Terry Woods was saying a flip top ratchet jack was the proper jack for the improved model. Therefore please research what tools are in a complete tool set before purchasing tools at flee marts. e-bay etc. The T parts books do not picture a flip top pressed steel jack for the improved vehicle, but the parts book pictures are not always accurate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

You are correct, Arnie. That is exactly what I was asking. The flip top jack has been discussed many times here on the Forum, previously; particularly, which flip top jack is Model T and which one is Model A.
Of course, if you don't have a judged show car, it matters little which jack you have in your tool kit, or whether you have a tool kit to display at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Terry:

Do you know the reason for the hole in the flip top portion of the jack? I believe the model T does not have the hole.

I think the Model T should have the lightweight jack (one with hole in flip top portion) but it does not. A Model T has about 20HP while a Model A has about 40 HP, therefore the A has more power to haul the heaver jack (yet it has the light one!)

Did Henry put the holes in to save steel??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 07:46 am:

Another question! What was the purpose of the hole in the jack handle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 11:38 am:

The tool bag was more of a tube from 25-27. Mark Cameron was making them for awhile. They were redesigned to accommodate the jack handle. I have a NOS one, and it has a woven cotton draw strap and buckle like a top boot to hold everything in. The hole in the jack handle matches up with the hole in the jack. Two companies made the jacks. Ajax, and ?? I'm not home and can't check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

I bought a repro tool bag for a 1924 from Lang's and got the tube type with strap and buckle that Larry describes.

If this isn't correct for 1924, can someone post a picture of the correct too bag for 1924? Thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

I have some non-flip top jacks that do not have a hole in the jack area where the handle goes.

In fact I think the picture in this thread shows a jack handle with a hole in it but the jack appears not to have a hole! Look at 2344 (jack handle)and it appears to have the hole, but look at the jack in the picture and it may not have a hole.

That is why I asked the question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

Arnie, I have no idea what the reasoning was for the hole in the flip top or the handle. I do know that the hole in the handle matches a hole in the part of the jack that the handle slips into, and a bolt or metal pin can be inserted to secure the handle to the jack. From previous discussion on the Forum, I believe the jack with the hole in the flip top is Model A. I have three flip top jacks without the hole and they each are made by different companies. I believe previous Forum discussion said the flip top was used on the improved car because the axles were lower to the ground; flip up for rear axle; down for front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

Yes, I can understand if the jack has a hole where the jack handle goes that makes sense!

However both the parts book and Dans' jack both appear not to have a hole in them. Therefore, what was the purpose of the hole in the handle for a jack without a hole? Did Ford plan in advance and put a hole in the jack handle in 1925, knowing he would need it when the 1926/1927 jacks with the flip tops were made?

Or did Henry change the parts book jack handle picture and not change the jack picture itself?

I believe there were three manufactures of the flip top jack.

With regards to the "more of a tube tool bag" how was the "T" handle to remove the wire wheel lug nuts stored?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

The three 'flip-top' (no hole) jacks that I have are made by: Indianapolis Pump and Tube, Indianapolis; Moblitt-Sparks industries, Indianapolis; and the third has no markings (probably a Walker).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

I just remembered what the other brand of jack is. It is a Walker, and it has the hole, I don't think the Ajax does, but other than that they are the same. Now, where is there ANY information that Ford used a flip top jack for a T? The screw jacks were 10". My two ratchet jacks are 10", and are not flip tops. HOWEVER, if you have a late T with 21" wheels and get a flat, a 10 " jack will not fit, so maybe they used a 9 1/2" jack which I have seen. I've checked the archives, and there is little information on this subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 10:33 am:

Larry:

Dan posted some information he got. It was from a tools discussion written by Trent Boggess. I forgot when it was written but if you google search MTFCA and the words jack or improved car jack, you should be able to find it. I think the Walker jack with the hole in the flip top is probably a Model A jack.

Perhaps we should move this to the 2016 forum to continue this topic in the new year.

Larry, did they store the "T" handle wire wheel lug wrench in the roll up bag??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Larry:

Yes, I agree with you that it is hard to find documentation that the Model T improved models came with a flip top jack! Perhaps they should have updated the parts list, but this is something I guess just did not happen.

You open up a "new bag of worms" when you mention the flip top jack was needed to jack up a front axle of the improved car. That is what I thought at first also. However if one measures a non-flip ratchet jack its down position is about 9 inches on some of these ratchet jacks. (I have one that is also 10 inches). So my question is if there was already a 9 inch height jack in production did they really need the flip top jack to jack up the front end of the improved vehicle or was the flip top added for another reason?

Anyone want to comment about jacking up the rear?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration