Way OT - My Winter Project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Way OT - My Winter Project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

A couple of years ago, my wife and I added a 1911 Sears Motor Buggy to our Model T fleet. Since the Model Ts are in hibernation until we get some nicer weather, I decided to try some light modeling of an early horseless carriage. I hope to have it finished to look sorta like a Sears this spring.

*Chain drive
*Carriage wheels with rubber tires
*Friction wheel transmission
*Air-cooled two cylinder engine
*Force feed oiler

My apologies if this non-Model T post offends anyone.

Mike Hanson
Kingwood, Texax

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

Additional photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

Hi Mike,

Wow! Impressive work. I can't speak for others, but I have no problem with this thread and would like to see your progress with this undertaking. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

Very, very nice.

Thank you for posting this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 12:20 am:

I'm impressed....very nice work. The Carter car also has a friction wheel transmission.
Besides having a model T, I also have 1 & 2 cylinder REO's which are chain drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 04:57 am:

Model building par exellence! Beautiful work, Mike, and keep us posted with progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:45 am:

So the drive system works like the old Snapper Comet riding mower. really neat model.I hope you do post progress and completion photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Great work, please continue to post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 09:40 am:

nice work,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 10:09 am:

No offense at all. I'm glad to see such a neat model. But if that were a real highwheeler, the front sprockets would have to be much smaller or you'd never climb even a feeble grade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 10:26 am:

I think it's a very cool project. The post doesn't offend me at all. On the other hand, 2015 is drawing to a close and I believe the new rule is that everyone is supposed to be offended by pretty much everything and everyone.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

Here are some photos of the "horseless carriage" model as of today. I have started painting and adding some engine detail like the oil lines coming off the force feed lubricator and a little Schebler D carb.

It is interesting to think that Sears & Roebuck was trying to compete with Henry Ford in the low price field. The Sears was introduced in 1908 and discontinued in 1912 due to mounting losses. About 3,000 were made of which 200 or so still exist today. In my opinion, the demise of the highwheeler type was due to popularity of the Model T.

Gil - Thanks for the comment on the front sprocket. I remade it much smaller this time along with differential plates like on my Sears.

Work on the body is next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

Moved thread to 2016 Forum. Thanks MTFCA and Chris B,

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration