Old Photo - Model T Era - Auto Bone Yard

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Auto Bone Yard
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Dang. Us guys who frequent this forum could get lost in a place like that and never be heard from again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:37 am:

I never saw a wrecking yard with that kind of flavor. The old stuff was war-era and
50's stuff, with perhaps the occasional prewar vehicle. It is hard for me to even get
my head around vehicles like this being junked !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:39 am:

I've seen inside some barns that look like that...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Many of the cars are RHD. I wonder if it is England or Australia or if the negative is reversed?
Many of the cars seem to be after 1913 by which time most cars in the USA had switched to LHD....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davey Jules on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:47 am:

What a photo!

Makes me think of the old ee Cummings line about a "nipponized bit of the old sixth avenue el."

I wonder what the metal in those cars eventually became, what form they are in today.

Do you think there's a can of tomato soup on the shelf in in some Publix that was once a Tudor?

Davey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:51 am:

I remember junk yards like this in the 40's when they were being used for the war and people were bring them in instead of just letting them rot in a barn, garage or field.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

I remember when we had JUNKYARDS! you would go out in the yard with your tools and a wheelbarrow fill it up go to the counter then you and the owner would dicker for 10 minutes on the price. Now we have automotive recycling centres,and if you find what you want or need they look up the original price of the new item and demand 75% of that price, we need more JUNKYARDS :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

I loved the sign out front of one of the old junk yards in St. Louis. Extolling the virtues of used parts, it said,

"Remember, your car is running on used parts now!"

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

My dad used to do salvage and junk business in the mid to late 50s. They were west of Tulsa in Yale Okla. I used to have a picture of my dad taken in 1957 ( I was just a few months old then) He was dressed in blue jeans, had a white T shirt with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve, hair greased back (looked just like Fonzie) and was lighting his cigarette with a lit oxy/acct torch. His foot was on the bumper of a 1930s Cord. He said after he lit the cigarette he cut the cord up into hundreds of pieces. He even regretted that one but he always said the old cars were just junk then. They hated model Ts and Chevys as they were too much wood. They just piled them up in the back field till they had dozens of them and then set them on fire. After they burnt out they cut up the remaining steel. I lost all my old pictures in a house fire. I also had some of Dad and his partner James Barrow (yes same Barrow family). They had a dual flathead V-8 engine dragster they raced in the Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas races during the late 40s 50s era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

These day a similar junkyard would have car guys lining up and fighting over who was taking which items.
So your newfangled automotive recycle centers demand 75% of new price for parts? For some german cars that's $1,500 and it's not new anymore. Sunlight decays plastic parts faster than ever before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

What a shame!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

I don't believe that in view of current EPA regulations that it is possible to operate a true salvage yard 100% legally. Sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

So much good stuff! Two early non-Ford coupes (probably mostly wooden bodies). A couple really interesting early '10s cars, and a bunch of mid to late '10s cars. They probably all wound up in the scrap metal drives of the '30s. Most wrecking yards from before 1935 did. It is sad that so many wonderful (and many irreplaceable rare) historic cars were scrapped at that time, but the ships, Jeeps, and tanks, made from them contributed a lot to the necessary effort.
I do think the photo is reversed. The model T chassis back near the two coupes is not only right hand drive, the gasoline tank filler appears to be on the flipped side. I don't know for certain, maybe the Canadian sourced rhd cars were flipped? But I did not think so. No manifolds are visible, but they could simply be missing. Not quite enough detail to see valve ports in the shadows. The steering column on that chassis appears to have the horn button on the top.
The big six cylinder touring car on the viewer's right, at the bottom of the picture, bugs me. I wanted to think it was a '17 Studebaker, several things are close, but not close enough. Studebaker used a split front seat like that for about a year, but so did a lot of other cars including Pierce Arrow. The radiator in the back seat area looks a lot like a Studebaker, but the cowl, although close, does not look quite right. The engine is very similar to Studebaker sixes, and unusual for the early or mid '10s for most cars. Studebaker was the first "major production" car with a mono-block six about 1913. The remaining question of whether the photo was flipped or not contributes to the confusion. Other than a few foreign market cars, Studebakers were left hand drive fairly early (also about 1913 with some crossover).

Can anyone else see anything definitive about the photo being flipped or not? I have already spent too much time looking at this one (although I did enjoy looking and dreaming about finding some of those cars still).
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

Wayne, I see a Maxwell. The hood rod bracket on the firewall makes me believe that. I have never seen a right hand drive Model 25 but that could be.

I also thought I spotted valve ports in the T block but then I saw that round shape repeated in all the dead spots in the picture.

No answers. Just more questions. I guess we've been looking too long.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 12:05 am:

It appears that there are two Electric cars in the background. The one with the curved rear window looks like a Detroit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

Richard! which one do you think is a Maxwell? the 1913 was right hand drive. the coupe looks almost like the restored 08 woods body out in my shop. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

I was looking at the bottom one in my version of the photo. Model 25's were 14 and later.

The two coupe bodies have funny little boxes below the rear windows. They do look like Electrics but could have gas engines instead. I thought this was European at first but I think I see a Maxwell on top of one of the Coupes.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

mod 25 also in 1913 i have a roadster body for one here if any one needs it.the windshields and upward sweep on the frt doors make me think chev or buick.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

I had no clue 25's were made in 1913.
This photo show why I suspect the car is a Maxwell. It is My 1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

The front doors also had an upward sweep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

..and if the car on top of the Coupe was a Maxwell, the little blip below the white dot would be a gas cap. (Reversed or Right hand drive)

But enough about Brand X.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

now that i see the rectangular bracket for the hood rod& a good pic of the windshield i agree. but the one on the coupe looks to have more sweep on the door maybe 490 chev. i dont think that is a box on the back of the coupes looks like a flap of some kind.i will go over there and have a look next time get a chance!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

Fuzzy photos are a lot of fun. That could be a flap or a box. Whatever they are doesn't ring a bell. Maybe they are the Battery covers. (raised)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Wayne,

According to Bill Mowle's article, Ford of Canada did flip the gasoline tanks for at least some of the right hand drive cars. I don't know which years that applies to, but the photo is of a 1921.

Note they also have two starter switch holes so the body can fit either RHD or LHD.

But is the photo reversed? I still cannot tell for sure.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

Based on the head bolt spacing I think the photo is reversed. Of course a higher resolution photo might show that the head bolt was removed from the middle right side. Notice on the manifold side centered front to back the three bolts are closer together.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:33 am:

Hap, I think you nailed it!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration