A Most Beautiful Carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A Most Beautiful Carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

Just finished cleaning and rebuilding this Schebler L model Carburetor. It has a 1 3/8" throttle hole intake and a 2 3/4" hole spacing for the mount. I'm looking for a 1" example if anyone out there has one for sale or trade. I've read that they "really walk the dog."

schebler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

I have a similar carburetor on my 1912 Buick Model 35. That's the small Buick, with a 3-3/4 square engine. Several "experts" told me to junk it and get a Carter BB-1, because the Scheblers are no good. Baloney! Mine runs very well, idles well, climbs well, accelerates smoothly, and has plenty of power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

The adjustments are very interesting as is the spring loaded air valve for high speeds. This one has the dash adjustment for tension on that spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

"Hogwash!!" "You don't need a BB-1." That's what I tell people who tell me they are going to put a BB-1 on because their carb won't run. These carbs run great if they are set up right. I love these L's, I've had a couple with the lever on the air valve and a couple with the knob adjustment. If you get them dialed in they will run as well as anything and are correct for the engine. I am not a big fan of air valve carbs but they didn't sell thousands and thousands and thousands of carbs that didn't run!!!

I have forgotten what this one was for, maybe an Overland or Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Russ Potter rebuilt a 4 ball carb for me a few years ago. It looked so good when I got it back, I gave it several coats of clear lacquer before I put it on my car. Car runs as good as the carb looks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Hey Stan,

What's the throttle diameter of that last me you posted? You would appreciate that when I couldn't find the correct pivot screws for the float I cut down two model airplane glow plugs and soldered the outer ends shut. They have the same 1/4 32 threads. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

I dunno, it must have been about an inch and a quarter. 1/4 x 32 is very common in carbs. That's the first tap and die set you need, even for Model T carbs. I've probably made 50 sets of pivot pin end plugs, they are almost always buggered up from screwdrivers. I make them out of 5/16 hex stock so you can use a wrench instead of trying to tighten them with a screw driver. I also have trouble getting the slot right in the middle trying to make screwdriver slots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

Funny, in the vintage catalogs they offer a model L for the model T Fords. I wonder if the standard small size was 1 1/4" for the T given they had to have a non stock updraft intake manifold anyway.

I'm looking for the manifold to mount this on a T if anyone have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 03:25 am:

Mark
I run the right hand version of this exact carb on my 1912 Oakland 40. It's a 260 cu.in 4 cyl engine.
The right hand (RL) version has the air valve sticking out on the right side instead of the left as yours is. The size is called 1 1/4 pipe size. It actually measures 1 3/8. The bolt holes are 2 3/4 c-c

This is from an old catalog

I've put around 18000 miles on my Oakland over the last 30 years and never had any problem with this carb until September. I was on an HCCA tour in Bellingham Washington. Day 5 about 10 miles left when the Oakland quit. It has never done that before. I rolled to the side of the road and opened the hood. Couldn't see anything wrong. I was scratching my head and wondering what it could be when a guy that was parking his modern car tapped me on the shoulder. He had a chunk of brass in his hand. It was the bottom of the air valve!! It is threaded on to the body with a very fine thread. As the carb hangs low against the frame on the Oakland, I hadn't noticed it slowly unwinding itself over time. It had a bit of damage but I was able to repair it at home. Lost the spring for the air valve but I've made do with another that's close. Maybe Stan has the correct one in stock I can buy.

I believe I have the 1" version of the carb that you are looking for. It's the left hand version same as your picture. I'll dig it out and post a picture. I've been keeping it for spare parts as the bowl, float and needle valve are the same. The air valve spring is lighter unfortunately.
Here's a pic of my Oakland

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 08:43 am:

mark. that carb was used on 1913 mod 71 45 hp overlands & maney others .charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 10:40 am:

There are a lot of Schebler air valve type carbs around. Jim Burns in Texas has two of the very few known 1914 Overland factory speedsters. His R with the cross flange is coming to the bench probably tomorrow or Saturday. I've done a bunch of R's but only 3 or 4 have that cross flange that Overland used.

Ken, that's a beautiful car. Nice plane, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:59 am:

Mark
Here's some pictures of my extra smaller model L. This would be the 1 inch. It measures 2 3/8 c-c and has a 1 3/16 throat. Looks like I stole the float pivot screw at one time for my other carb.

Ken

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration