Spindle Bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spindle Bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

I had to replace a spindle bolt. Please donít ask why. Letís just say I had a major brain lasp.
The spindle bolt that I pulled out has a crease down and around the oil hole. Looks like this was a hand make crease to solve an oiling problem.
Should I put a similar crease in the new bolt?
The spindles have a grease zerk installed about in the middle.
Will using the zerk be enough to keep the spindle greased? I did put the oil cap on top to make it a little harder for the water to enter.
Here is a picture of the two bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Must be aftermarket. The Ford ones go straight down about an inch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

The top bolt is the old bolt the bottom bolt is from Lang's.

Should I put a notch around like the old bolt?
Can someone provide a picture of a old original bolt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Steve, The notches and/or grooves are for helping the oil move into the bushing if you use the top oil hole. Many of us have installed a grease zerk in the middle of the spindle, as your car has. This allows grease to reach both top and bottom bushings. In this case no new notches or grooves are needed. It would help to take the weight off the wheel when greasing that spindle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 01:51 am:

One bad thing about using grease zerks for spindle bolts. Grease will follow the path of least resistance, no matter if the zerk is in the end of the bolt, or in the middle. It may work for awhile, it may work for along time, BUT at some point, grease usually tends to dry out a bit, get thicker from contamination, one end may have more clearance, etc. In that case, grease won't go in both directions, so one end starts to lose out on lube. Have you ever had a greaseable u joint that wouldn't take grease on one of the trunnions? I think the original type oilers are much better here. As always, YMMV. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 03:51 am:

I would not recommend cutting an added groove in the bolt. The potential for a fracture point is fairly high, and as long as it gets properly oiled as Henry intended, works fine.
Because I have been playing around with speedsters for so many years, I have had a few Ts with original era grease fittings added. I still oil the top oilers because the grease pumped in doesn't really get to the to bushing quite well enough. For the reasons already mentioned.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

Comparison of original Ford (left) and modern avail. repro king pins (spindle bolts).

The Ford does have a short narrow groove down the pin to allow oil to drip down around the pin , that lets oil drop down to the lower bushing.

The modern has a smaller milled ring around the hole, lets oil weep all around the shaft and down to the lower bushing.

To grind a groove in the hardened king pin of short length probably won't do much good. Oil will flow along as long as you add oil from time to time. Most king pin wear to the bushings or pin is lack of lube.

IMHO oil is much better for the king pin lubrication than grease. Grease can cake, and then be very difficult to pass down the top of the king pin, or if a Zerk is drilled and placed in the center of the spindle body it can just let grease cake there, and it will do a poorer job.

Remember the king pin doesn't spin in the bushing, like a rotary bearing shaft, and the grease just gets a small turn, in an arc, and what doesn't get turned just dries and cakes. Oil flows, flows down out and around the bushings, better lube IMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

No grease, chain saw oil, lots and lots of it, once each day you drive the car. Grease does not get around the shaft..lots of chain saw oil...Hope you understand...add more chain saw oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

I don't think you need any groove. Gravity will move the oil. In fact the groove will make the oil run out sooner.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration