Look what followed me home

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Look what followed me home
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schultz on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

I recently bought this 1924 from my wife's grandpa and I'm in the early stages of getting it running. Sorry my picture was too big to upload.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schultz on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

The black Ts are fun, while the brass cars are nice to look at and can be driven, the black radiators are just for driving. They are just FUN. Enjoy the car with your kids, even teenagers will occasionally come with you, just for fun.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

That looks like it should clean up pretty nice! Welcome to the affliction!
Drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schultz on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 12:00 am:

I got the engine unstuck, have ground the valves and seats. Still have to hone the cylinders before I can start putting it all back together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 12:32 am:

David, keep up the good work and have fun with it! It's everything a model T should be. That JD 544 is almost as obsolete as the T compared to today's equipment. I remember changing the rubber torque couplings on a few of those, under the cab, at the landfill. Not fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 12:55 am:

David, that looks like a fun ride. I have a '25 coupe much like that. One thing I found out recently, when I took the covering (installed in the early '60's)off of the sunvisor, the frame was rusted pretty badly down on the lower front where moisture had collected over the years. I was able to salvage it by laying a couple of 1/8" rods in it and brazing them in.
Do you know any of the car's history? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schultz on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 08:40 am:

It was bought new by my wife's great grandpas neighbor. Years later her great grandpa bought it from him for $20, years later her grandpa bought it from him for $20 and now we own it. Before I put it all back together I would like to paint the engine but it is really caked with grease. Any advice on getting it clean and what to use for paint?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 08:44 am:

David, I've found the best thing to clean a dirty engine is with good old lacquer thinner. I've always said to people "lacquer thinner is my friend"! Gets all the gook off not to mention paint if you get agressive enough. Makes for a great starting point for new paint. I use my good ol' Acrylic Enamel on my engines, altho on one I used up some left over Imron. Both wear nicely on it. Nice car, enjoy the ride! Both in the shop and on the road!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Oh yeah, David, you might as well be planning on another one! I thought I'd do fine with one, I was up to five, now down to four. Needed the space back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 08:46 am:

David, that's a really low number plate. Hang onto it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 11:04 am:

David:

In case you weren't already aware, Minnesota Pioneer plate 278 was originally issued in 1953 to Michael Ahrens of Eagle Bend. 1953 was the first year of issue for Minnesota Pioneer plates.

On a side note: Eagle Bend is the hometown of Royce D. Peterson, a long time Model T Ford enthusiast, who passed away earlier this year. His son, Royce N. Peterson is also involved in the hobby and is a prolific contributor to this forum.

Erik in Minneapolis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Just got my barn find re-titled, the new Pioneer plates are not embossed, just flat, and really ugly.
Jon, Minneapolis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

I agree with Tim on lacquer thinner for cleanup. For painting a black era engine I use a rattle can of black satin finish Rustoleum. It holds up just fine. For the exhaust manifold I used a clear VHT (very high temperature) manifold paint specified for 1300 to 2000. I think I got it at O'Reilly's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

I wish my '25 had that patina. After driving open T's for 35 years I built my Tudor and discovered a whole new world of enjoyment.

Best of luck with it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

"Look what followed me home", I was born at night, but not last night. All kidding aside, best of luck with your new / old car and the fun has just started.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and Happy motoring,

Warren

ps: you forgot to say "Honey"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schultz on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Thanks for all the info. My wife's great grandpa is Michael Ahrens, he bought the car in 53 from the original owner. It is pretty cool that it still has that plate. I'm new to the hobby but am having a great time just working in it, I can't wait to be able to drive it. Before I can do that it needs tires so I will have to save up for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

David,

Welcome to the hobby. I believe that you are blessed to live in one of the best states in the country for a Model T fan. We have three very active Model T clubs that offer tours and tech advice. The Great Northern Model T Club is a chapter of the MTFCA and was founded in my living room back in '09. We have about sixty members and do monthly tours or garage meets.

Andy Loso, club member and frequent forum poster, and I are both in the St. Cloud area and we like helping people learn how to keep their cars roadworthy. Don't be afraid to PM either of us through the forum. Each one of us will give you all the free advice you can stomach. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration