Old Photo - Douglas County Washington Fair Race Track in the 1920ís

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Douglas County Washington Fair Race Track in the 1920ís
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Not a closed car to be seen! Could it be the teens?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Good observation. Yes it could be the late teens. You would think enclosed cars would be desirable in the Pacific Northwest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 11:32 am:

I'd guess mid-teens.

All of the Fords I can see appear to be 1914 and earlier with straight rear fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

Douglas county is on the dry side, eastern. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

I counted twelve cars in a row with straight rear fenders.At least one car in the line is circa 1911. Without any personal knowledge of the specific track. I would also think the photo is late/mid '10s. Probably right about '17.
Looks like horse racing going on. But of course, my first thought at my first glance was how much fun it would be to get my boat-tail out there for a few hours! Or, better yet, the gray race car I used to have!
It looks like an unusually long track for horses? I wonder what kind of horse racing they would do there?
Thanks for a wonderful photo!
Drive carefully, and enjoy the New Year! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:14 am:

I have put on several 1 and 2 cylinder car tours in Waterville, Douglas Country seat. We stay at the brick Waterville hotel built in the early 1900's and presently mostly restored.

The countryside is warm and dry being wheat country. There are lots of roads with little or no traffic with the exception of a John Deere or 2. The race track and fair grounds are long gone but the local airport covers part of the fairgrounds.

Its a great area for car tours lots of straight and nearly flat roads with interesting things to see while touring.

just sayin'
brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:19 am:

"... You would think enclosed cars would be desirable in the Pacific Northwest."

===============================

Let me clear something up for you folks unfamiliar with Washington and Oregon ....

There are TWO versions of both, divided by a mountain range. One is the one
EVERYONE knows and assumes is THE ONLY version .... soggy and in a perpetual
state of rain .... Seattle, Everett, Tacoma, Bellingham, Portland, Salem, Eugene ....

... and then there is the desert. Still considered part of the Pacific Northwest, but ...
We have sagebrush and pines, the scablands and the Palouse. Not a lot of rain.

:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration