Question about vaporizer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question about vaporizer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

I picked up a T doodlebug with a vaporizer it's the first one
I have encountered the engine was not running good it was
Stumbling and spitting out the carb.nothing with a steady
Rhythm .the spark is good also comp.
my question is will a burned thru heater plate make it act
This way that's all I could find wrong when I took the unit off
And cleaned it
Thanks in advance and happy new year Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

If the plate is burned through you have a vacuum leak that will cause the car to run awful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

I have run a vaporizer carb for over 50 years. The only problem I ever had was a burned through plate. I always carry a spare now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

My Vaporizer did that same stumbling and poor running years ago. A new plate fixed it. A few months ago it started doing that again so I went through the carb and freshened it all up. Even replaced a perfectly good vaporizer plate. Still ran awful. The engine is all apart now for rungs and valves...

That vaporizer plate is easy and cheap to do, so it is a good Idea to start there. When i do a vap plate I used a wet stone and dress both sides of the castings where the plate goes so that it will seal well.

If you do the plate and it still doesn't run well then keep checking. Other likely things: screen in shut-off, clogged filter, junk in the bowl or jets, weak spark, worn timer, leaky or poorly set valves, bad rings, obstructed exhaust, leaky manifold rings, dirt or moisture in the fuel, leaky or blown head gasket, bad plug wires. All of above are things to check first. If none of them then you will have to get serious about diagnosing the problem!

Welcome, Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

The copper tube and fittings running up from the carburetor bowl can leak also so air is pulled in instead of gasoline.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration