Project creep...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Project creep...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

Ever notice that when you decide to do a little job on your T you end up noticing something else which could use a little tweaking. So your job increases in size. If you are going to do this, well then you might as well do that... then also why not that other thing?

Last week I decided to interrupt the 2015 driving season (1/1/2015- 12/31/2015) and do a little task I'd been putting off... for years. I pulled Rusty's engine out for a quick ring job... well maybe I should lap the valves too... and as long as I've done that, why not balance the drums (I've been put to shame by Steve Jelf AND all of the Tulsa Group!).

Once you have that engine out on the stand and are going to do some balancing why not go a bit more. Inspect a few things... HEY, THAT OUTPUT SHAFT MOVES ON THE RIVITS! The triple gears are looser than I remember from about 8 years ago!

Dang I should quit looking as the plan is now for a complete rebuild including new triple gear and drum bushings, rings, valve lapping, balancing triple gears, trans drums, crankshaft, flywheel, pistons and rods. New generator, gaskets and more gaskets. Also make a few tools along the way... clutch spring compressor, dynamic balancer.


Photos of why the triple gears need re-bush:

bushings are loose on pins:


gears are loose on bushings:


upsetting old bushings and reaming them to fit only lasted about 8 years... that's got to be 5,000-8,000 miles. The first two bushings dropped out and one had been spinning in the gear. This one required two taps with the tack hammer to be removed... so the upset sorta worked. Maybe 5 years is the limit on that!



Time for searching the parts bin for my best drums and output shafts! Happy New Year from this California creep!

Terry Horlick


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Granted, it is disappointing to see that now.

However, would you consider that you were extremely fortunate to have found all that now - rather than having a major breakdown in the middle of a tour?

Methinks you are starting the new year off under your "lucky star".

Hope that you have a Healthy and Happy one!


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

Terry, that's exactly the reason I don't recommend upsetting(AKA center punching)to take up play. It will almost always fail without some help, such as loctite. JMHO Dave


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Upsetting is what I call a "strawberry fit" It has its places and times to use it. But I do not see near enough "strawberry seeds" (center punch marks) on that bushing. I assume the top half of the "seeds" wore off, but the spacing of the bottom "seeds" shows to be about 1/3 to 1/4 of the amount I would have used. Then as David says the use of locktite (and even JB Weld in a pinch) will almost guarantee the bushing to stay put. But before the nay-sayers jump in and slam a fix like this. This type of fix is a temporary fix or the "best I can afford" type of fix. Not everyone has the money to just "buy everything new" and throw money at our projects. So in certain cases "a fix, is a fix" till better can be had... Just my opinion again for the little it may be worth ... :-)


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

Donnie,

I remember doing this one well before I had my lathe. I guess I would have knurled it with the lathe. All three bearings required pressing to install. Here is the other one... it got punch marks all over!



Even with one triple with about 15 thou clearance (I reamed them to .004" if I remember correctly) this tranny wasn't very noisy and felt just right to the foot.

I will be doing all the tranny bearings new. I'll report back here how balancing and all fresh bearings changes Rusty's performance... keep tuned... February probably, first I have to finsh and trouble shoot the balancer.

Terry


Add a Message


This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration