1927 Headlight Assembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1927 Headlight Assembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 01:29 am:

I am in the final stages of putting my car back together after being repainted. I stuck the headlight bulb socket, #6574, in the hole and I am unable to get the headlight plug, #6592X, into the socket. I found a diagram from the 2013 forum, which does help immensely in putting things back together.

My question is how far out past the back side of the rim does the socket go? Is it flush with the bucket or does it stick out a ways? If so, how far? Thanks.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/376847.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 08:50 am:

This is on a '25 and earlier, but should help you out. I took some pictures for you below. The socket does not stick out very far on this one as you can see, I could make it flush if needed with the focus screw, but anything below flush would probably prevent me from getting the plug in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Chad, if you look close in the rust area above the socket, you can see Ford in script letters.

I have a new old stock unit that also has Brown in script below the socket.

That alignment screw has to be horizontal with the socket connection to provide the proper focus pattern shown in the repair manual.

That cannot happen with the early 1926 fender mounted head lights that were apparently left over from some truck stock.

This light was an early service change that Henry Ford never admitted to needing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

The adjusting screws that the vendors sell is another example of a part that is not done correctly, in that they didn't drill the hole for the cotter pin. I bought stainless steel screws, and used one of Don Langs drilling fixtures to drill the cotter pin holes. It worked, but I wore out the drilling fixture because it is not heat treated! Oh well, you can't have everything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

That is odd Larry. I have refurbished two sets of headlights, the set shown above for my T doodlebug was done in the summer of 2015, the previous set for my pickup maybe around 2010 and both received all new internal parts from Lang's and the screws had holes in them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration