How tall?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How tall?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 09:04 am:

The clearance under my garage door is 78 inches. Will a 1922 Model T coupe fit through the door without touching? Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 10:18 am:

John,

I think my garage door is 80 inches high and my 21 Center Door gets in with about an inch to spare. 78 inches might not do it for the coupe.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 11:39 am:

This subject chaps my hide. Being a builder, there is really no reason to build
garage doors so low except for being cheap. Owned many places where I faced
this issue and once built, it is a HUGE undertaking to change. Basically requiring
a reframe of the front wall of the garage and the junking of the expensive door
and replacement with new. And if the whole garage ceiling was built too low, then
the whole wall system needs to be raised ! ..... which, in other words, means forget
the whole idea, or plan on tearing down the whole #@! structure and doing it right.

The jones is, the cost difference to do 8-9 foot walls with and a 7+ foot door opening
is a few hundred bucks over doing it low. Making a CHANGE after it's built low will
cost ten-twenty THOUSAND if you have to start all over !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Agreement with Burger! Think ahead and build with an 8' tall door (they do make them) and no further 'problem' for any T. Our TT is 74" tall, and clears the open door & track without even thinking about it.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

When I had my shop built I had a working plan from Lumberjack's Store and the contractor changed to 10 foot ceilings. That made the doors taller and no problems with my '19 Touring and my'17 Depot Hack. Good clearance for the tops.

Happy New Year to one and all`

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

Most garage door openings are 7' tall, which is 84". If your opening under the door is only 78", it might not be opening all the way. There is usually an adjustment on the opener which determines where it stops. You might try adjusting that for more clearance.

(Message edited by coupelet on January 01, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

Well, we've been in this old house for more than 40 years and that's just the way it was built back then. Don't want to tear it down now. Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I chapped Burger but thanks for your thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Check and see if its the garage door or the header that's the low spot. I have found that the garage door can often be propped up an inch or 2 higher - the springs/door opener don't always fully retract the door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 01:17 am:

I think the "standard" for years was 6" 8" door heights for all doors including people doors and car doors. At least that is what I have encountered on all the houses I have lived in here in Illinois. It is true however that you can be limited by the fact that the door isn't opening all the way up to get it out of the way. Just make totally sure that the problem is in the basic lumber framed opening of the door jamb and not the door final position adjustment. IF the door jamb has clearance but the door cannot' get all the way out of the way even with adjustment know that there is a type of door track that is built for "low head room clearance" installations. I used them on a new install where the ceiling height was less than the standard 8 foot. They are not terribly more money than standard door track. They simply install with double track so that the door can make the bend to roll up even when the ceiling height is 7' 6" or so. These were commonly called "Chicago style" low headroom clearance door tracks since there were many homes built in Chicago early on that had low ceiling height in the garage door opening.

If the door jamb height minus all trim and moulding is still not high enough then consider a device that will pull the front spring down via a strap around the frame and center of front axle that isn't too hard to install. It is an accessory device that I have seen somewhere that will allow the front end to stoop down a bit to help you get past a lower height. Don't just give up without looking for simple ratchet device that can pull the car down a bit lower. You might be able to lower it a wee bit via trailer tie down ratchet wrapped around the front cross member and front axle and/or perhaps 2 of them wrapped around rear end and frame ends at the rear. I used to get my tall Delivery Car inside enclosed trailer by having 2 passengers sit in it with me while I loaded it onto the trailer. Think of simple things that you might be able to use to temporarily lower the car if you only need a small amount. Letting air out of tires is a nuisance but that works too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:42 am:

I have 8 foot doors on my garage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration