New Years Brunch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New Years Brunch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 11:17 am:

I don't know why my post appeared on the 2015 forum. It is now 2016.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

They are two separate forums, Norm. Chris has opened the 2016 forum and has left the 2015 forum open for a short time so threads can be closed out or transferred to the new forum.

Happy New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

It ran fine and we had the top down. Took our next door neighbors with us. Coming home, it is almost all the way uphill. There are hills I can climb in high when I am alone. With 4 in the car we had to use Ruckstell. It was 56 degrees F when we got home. This year is starting out great,sunny, but we expect rain most of next week. El Nino!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

https://youtu.be/grsrT4-nXiI

The Spokane Model T Club Met for brunch then did a small tour. It was 10 degrees F when we started this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

I went to Moses Lake a few years ago in December. That is within an hour of Spokane. What surprised me is that in the morning the roads were icy and there was some snow on the ground. It was sunny all day long and the ice never melted! Being from southern California, I could hardly believe that it didn't get over 20 degrees F all day long! Here sometimes we get ice in the morning, but by about 10:00 AM it is melted.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

https://youtu.be/89g-4hSu0Fw

I had a error so here is the updated YouTube link!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 02:46 am:

Thanks Mike. Looks like you had a blast.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Great video, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

This is 17th year that our club has done the New Year's thing. This year even though the temp was in single digits we still had five or six T's out.

My first choice T wouldn't start, but the second fired right up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

"I went to Moses Lake a few years ago in December. That is within an hour of Spokane .... "

As a crow flies, the distance is reported to be 94 miles between these two points.

http://www.distancefromto.net/between/Moses+Lake/Spokane

Washington State Dept. o' Tranportaccionnes says: Moses Lake-Spokane 105 miles

This would be measured via travel along Interstate 90.

===============================================================

Now, I happen to be familiar with this area and its terrain, as well as traveling the I 90
route more times than I could possibly remember, and as such, would submit that although
the "as the crow flies" route would indicate lesser miles, and even with a Model T's time-
proven ability to navigate rough ground and off-road conditions, taking the Interstate would,
in fact, be a quicker way to go between these two points.

However, as this IS a site for discussion of all things Model T related, this all brings me to
having a strong desire to see the Model T that can cover 105 miles of Interstate in under an
hour's time, OR ... the Model T that could do it via the overland route in that same amount
of time !!! :-)

Joking aside, today is just one of those days ... bright and sunny and the thermometer dial
never poked above 10 or 15 degrees

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Sorry to offend you Burger. I didn't look at the map. We flew in for a funeral or I wouldn't have been there in December.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Burger, they have these things called "airplanes" that easily put Spokane within an hour of Moses Lake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

OK, you serious guys who missed my smiley face and word "JOKING" ....

I still want to see the T that can do it ! :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

I sometimes drive an oldie on a cold day. But here in NJ, when there's snow on the ground, the highway guys are really quick to spread car solvent on the roads, so then my fun cars stay inside until we get enough rain to wash the salt away.

Our local Cars & Croissants group had two outings in December. I took the T to one and the Stanley to the other. I can't take the Stanley if it's likely to stay below freezing, because I don't want the water in the tank to freeze before it gets pumped into the boiler. My garage stays about 50 degrees, so when I pushed the Stanley out into a 25-degree day to fire it up, I knew it would take a long time to freeze the tank. The morning warmed to about 36, so by then there was no danger. The problem was maintaining steam pressure. When the water in the tank is cold, it takes a lot of fire to boil it. And, on a cold day, there's too much heat loss between the boiler and the engine. I could barely maintain 300 psi, so I had to cruise at 25 mph, and stop to build pressure before each serious hill. On a warm day I maintain over 500 psi and can cruise at 40.

New Year's Day was clear and about 20 degrees, so the group called an unscheduled Cars & Croissants. I wore my snowmobile suit and drove the one-lung Cadillac, that has no windshield. Fun! But we've had no snow, or salt, yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Jesteadt - SE Florida on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 10:20 am:

Mike Robison, we really enjoyed your video, especially sitting in our house in Florida with the AC running. Very well done!

Happy HEALTHY new year to you and all,- on this time consuming, addictive, GREAT forum.
Liz and Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration