Starting the new year wanting my rearend to go faster ;^ )

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Starting the new year wanting my rearend to go faster ;^ )
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

No, seriously! What combinations in ring & pinion gears can you use effectively in a Model T? I have several sets of 11/39 gears, a 12/40 & several standard gear ratio sets. Can you mix and match? These are new sets so if that's needed info it's out there for your help. I know you can but should you use a 12 tooth with a 39 tooth? Love to hear what combinations you have used and your results. Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Hi John,

I think that you need to offer much more information regarding the type of car (light weight speedster or roadster, heavy Fordor sedan) and engine set up:

cast iron or aluminum pistons
Stock or "hot" cam
stock carb or a go fast carb
stock or high compression head, or OHV
stock crank or counter balanced

terrain: flat as a board or every direction is uphill

Load: drive alone, one passenger, two, three?

Inquiring minds need to know before advise and counsel can be proffered

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

And do you have any accessory trans like a Ruckstell or a Warford?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Oh I see what you are talking about, John.
I was going to suggest you see a doctor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Oh. I was going to suggest that you lay off the meat and eat more greens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

Agreed the extra info would b helpful but -

I really like 4 to 1 rear gears mated with an aux transmission. Good pull power on grades and the lower RPM for cruising on the flats in overdrive. Works real fine with a warmed up motor but should go nice with a stock power plant as well.

Then again stock gears with a Ruckstell work pretty nicely too and is quieter than an aux trans if you are in a closed car.

Remember to use enhanced brakes if you choose either an aux trans or Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

I like stock 3.6:1 with my Ruskstell. 4:1 lugs car if you drive it in high range in traffic. I only use Rusksell low when driving slow on dirt roads or when needed on hills. Buy a Z head and you will go faster without messing with gears. I have Z heads on all 4 of my T's. The Z head increases speed about 6 MPH. It also adds torque.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Phillip, I think you mean 3:1 lugs the car down, 4:1 is lower than standard and works great on my Fordor. This car claims hills like a mountain goat, but winds up to keep up with the others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

I always knew there were a couple of different ratio's available to we T-ers, but what I didnt know was just how many.
According to my short interweb research (15mins), I found gears that could provide 4:1, 3.63:1, 3.54:1, 3.33:1 3.25:1 and 3:1 ratio's.
I expect that there may be even more, if I look more closely.
Cheers,
Rob

(Message edited by rob_patterson on January 01, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Langs show 40 tooth ring gear and 14 tooth pinion which is 3.65 to 1.
The 3 to 1 is 39t by 13t ring and pinion. The 3:1 will go a little faster on a light speedster with a loss of take off acceleration. The 4:1 would be good on a heaver car. I meant to say 3:1 in my first post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Forum contributors thanks for your help. Im trying to get information on the available ring & pinion options & opinions with real experience from our forum membership. What have you used? Is it possible to mix a 12 tooth pinion gear with a 39 tooth ring gear or other combinations, has it been done what's the result. I'm toying around with some ideas fortunately or unfortunately depending on your view point while I'm working on a 1911 Torpedo project. I will have an aluminum Warford, Bennett auxiliary rear brakes. Stipe 280, stock low head, high compression Pistons, high volume intake, OF carb as part of the build. Thanks for your suggestions and information..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

Herb & Fred thanks for your comments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

I wasn't able o find a 14 tooth pinion gear....but that's not to say its not there. But, 40 divided by 14 = 2.86:1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

I did a rear axle for a roadster with a warmed up engine and installed 12:39 gears which is 3.25:1. It seems to pull the hills quite well and certainly will cruise along on the flat. The owner seems very happy with his choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Rear ends don't make the car go faster, horsepower does. A stock motor works best with stock gearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:11 am:

Layne Warford or original aluminum Warford- that will make a huge difference. Need to know which one and the kind of terrain you plan to do most of your driving in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:32 am:

Now for some trivia....
Like so many other things that are called by other names between our countries, like "hood" and "bonnet", "trunk" and "boot", "cotter pin" and "split pin", down here we call the "ring gear" a "crown wheel".
I know, I know, another useless piece of information.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 07:08 am:

Yea, I wanted the same thing thursday but magnesium citrate did not work! :-(

Oh! you are talking about the rear end in your car! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 07:29 am:

Correction- Lang shows 11 tooth pinion not 14. Some times my fingers are not in sink my head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 08:29 am:

The 10 and 11 tooth pinion works with the std 40 tooth ring gear (crown wheel)
The accessory 12 and 13 tooth pinions needs a ring gear with a relief in the back side like the available 39 tooth and the Ruckstell 40 tooth ring gears.

Wich one that'll fit your needs depends on a lot of the factors mentioned above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Dan it's an original Warford that I'll be using, the terrain is mostly flat but I'd like the ability to do hills. I have several Ruckstells but I'm not sure that I would get the utility from it as compared with the Warford. I'm getting closer to retirement and would like to travel some with it. I'm not in the shape to have unlimited funds to build it but I also want to be very comfortable in its ability to have multiple terrain applications. I'm going with a Ray Wells body, the original was just to far gone to save though I'm keeping it, I'm a hoarder. What ya gonna do, ha.
Jerry this is a joke, so how fast will the car go without a rearend? Seriously though Jerry that's why I did the high compression Pistons, 280 Stipe and original low head. I've got a few Z heads but it was my understanding you can't use them with high compression Pistons. I sold my waukesha head to a fellow Scot before I got this torpedo & came along with this plan. I want to add disc brakes instead of the Bennets but not sure of the look. I also wanted to add floating hubs but couldn't bring myself to cut the clamshells ends. I'll be adding the truss to the rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

John,
I'll have to meet this "fellow Scot" someday.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

I have '14 runabout with a Ruckstell and the rear end gears are 12/39. That gives you a 39/12 = 3.25:1 rear end ratio. With that you get better high end speed without the severe low end sacrifice of a 3.0:1 rear end. With the Ruckstell I still have pretty good hill-climbing ability due in part to a high compression head and a larger carburetor.
The only downside that I know of is that the 12-tooth pinion will not fit into the differential housing without separating the two halves of the housing. This is just a minor inconvenience however, and is well worth the balanced gain on both high and low end with the Ruckstell.
I am very happy with the 12/39 gears and the 3.25:1 ratio. Without the Ruckstell, I still think this would be a good ratio unless you live in awfully hilly country and need a lower rear end for much of the time.
Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

I really like 4 to 1 rear gears (10 tooth pinion) and my Chicago aux trans. This is in my fairly light speedster with a fairly mild Fronty head, Stipe cam, HP5A carb and an A crank. It pulls really well in direct on hills and is nice and tame in town. On the road at 40 or above I'm in overdrive which gives an overall gear ratio of right about 3 to 1 which works out to approximately 60 MPH at 2000 RPM. I expect that the Warford ratios are fairly similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

This is great info keep it coming. So the 3.25 is sounding like the ticket so far with the Warford. Any other suggestions, reviews or experience? Thank Forum and Rob aren't you coming to the states next year or did I make that up? Thought I heard that. Cheers John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

3:1 is OK for a Roadster if you live somewhere like Kansas where it is flat and when you get up to speed you can keep on moving. If you are anywhere with hills or traffic, the standard T gearing is best. 4:1 might be good for a sedan with full load of passengers. It will start out faster, but top speed is slower.
My opinion.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

So the next question with an original 3 speed Warford what's the best crown gear and pinion combination

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration