Longefity of foot starter swithch question. Solanoid?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Longefity of foot starter swithch question. Solanoid?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

Newbie to the Model T. Got 26/27 engine on 1915 frame that I am creating a WWI Light Patrol Vehicle on. Current chassis has foot starter switch and starter that I will be keeping on my project.
Original (to me) foot switch was sloppy and not making good contact. On my 1942 GPW jeep, they have foot starter switches as well and the Chinese reproductions are known to be junk and do not last. I ordered a new switch for the Model T and it looks very substaintail when compared to the GPW switch.
Are the Model T foot switches known to last? Or do I need to bring my GPW paradigm over to the Model T?
On the GPW, the addition of a 6v solanoid helps reduce the "jolt" in the switch to the starter circuit and much longer life is obtained from the switch.
Does anyone run a solanoid in the Model T?

I'll hang up and listen. Happy New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

Some folks used a solenoid. My TT is an '18 with a '23 engine, obviously a replacement after the original engine failed in some way. Whoever replaced the engine installed a battery carrier and a solenoid for the starter. I don't know when this was done, but evidence indicates around 1940 or '41.

It can be done easily. The only question is how important it is to you to adhere to "original" features.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

Original switches are very dependable and easy to find at swap meets. You can take them apart and clean the contacts, and they will work indefinitely with no problems. There are two types: one-the cover is screwed on, which is the easiest to clean up, the other has tabs that hold it together, heat the tabs, bend them and pull it apart. Make sure the insulating washers are in good shape (they usually are). The quality is much better than any repro or after market type switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

There are two starter switches for sale at Lang's. The cheaper one is Chinese made and will not last. The more expensive one is US made and is working well in both of my cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

The original switches are pretty good. The only thing that can go wrong with them is usually the insulators.
They can be taken apart and cleaned up and will last many many years.
A simple Ford part that can be found at swap meets pretty cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

The original switch works good. But I put a solenoid on the T I am hoping to drive alot when I finish it. If I ever get to finish it.It will help that original switch last longer because it wont be carrying the amps. I used a solenoid for a 78 f series truck.Cheap to buy at a local parts house.the bolts that hold the steering column to the metal dash, i used 2 of them to mount the solenoid onto.Just used a little longer bolt and put a second nut and lock washer on it.. no drilling,and easy to change back stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

I replaced my foot switch on my 26 with one I got from a farm and home store. Think it was a replacement for an 8N Ford tractor. With slight modifications it has worked fine. Have a solenoid on another T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

Most of the modern reproduction foot switches seem to be of poor quality and fail and i find it is a constant warranty problem. So I now insist that the foot switch operate a solenoid. It has the added advantage that I can arrange the wiring so the starter will only operate when the battery ignition is enabled. No accidental starts when working on the car..Y

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 07:46 am:

I had a Chinese switch on my '22 and the starter was very slow and would only turn the engine when the battery was fully charged. I replaced it with the "good one" from Lang's and now the engine cranks fine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration