OT - 'Polar Bear Plunge'

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - 'Polar Bear Plunge'
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Traditional 'Noon' on New Year's Day...
Water temp at a 'perfect' 102 degrees!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

Gee, I though you were referring to the Dutch New Year's Day tradition in the seaside town of Scheveningen.... :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PohochYsWxs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

This is a polar bear plunge.

http://youtu.be/aPMKHu7wKgw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Nut-jobs !

Methinks Marv has the right idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

'When' it gets below zero outside, it's even more perfect! Snow removal muscle aches melt away, and then be able to sleep like a baby.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

I had the pleasure of many freezing showers and long treks in below-20 temps to
and from the showers while in AFG. Enjoyed weeks in the 130+ weather without
showers too.

Doing this as some sort of "fun" escapes my comprehension. But then again, most
people would say anyone volunteering to go to AFG was a nutter too ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 01:54 am:

If there is no snow on the ground and you do not put your head completely under it does not count.

Can't be a wimp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 03:32 am:

As kid in the '50'-'60's I was out in the snow every minute I could. Now, I can't even dig an iced down can of pop(soda) out of a cooler without my hands aching so bad I can't hardly stand it. "Arther" is hammering me hard. Damn, getting old sucks! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

David, I hear ya. All those winters working outside without gloves really took its toll. I had a job one Winter cutting balsam limbs off pulpwood and marking them for cutting into 100" lengths. We'd try to get by with those skimpy little brown cotton gloves and they would get wet and freeze on your hands. So they went in your back pocket. We dried them over the wood stove every night and though they were ragged we'd start the day out with them every day. Winter logging was always tough. When I was 14 years old I started doing piece cutting with an old Homelite chainsaw. My fingers still tingle from the vibration. Arther's been visiting me for several years. Aleve and Tylenol help a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

Dick, isn't Scheveningen the place that Germans can't pronounce in the Dutch manner? If someone was suspected of being a German spy, he was asked to pronounce that word. If he said "SHEFF-uh-ning-en", he was shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Gilbert, you are correct. The Germans pronounce the "sch" combination as our "sh." The Dutch separate the "s" sound from the "ch" sound (which is a harsh, guttural sound in the back of the throat) and pronounce them separately. You can hear the Dutch pronunciation here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Nl-Scheveningen.ogg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

omg Michael I had to cover with a blanket just to watch your tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Dats, sum uv dem strong, healty Norvegien girls Vee race here in da ice cube capital uv da vurld!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration