Here's the first of my side curtains for my C cab. It is all done with the exception of the common sense eyelets to hold it all in place. For a simple side covering, these are a fairly involved piece to make.
Wow, great job!
Justin: I'm really proud of you and what you have done. Too bad there aren't more people like you. Did you do the work yourself? Here is some advice from a guy that has been where you are. Get a roll of Kraft paper, and make a template of the exact curtain you have shown. Use it to locate the exact position of your common sense fastener eyelets. That way if you mess up, you can patch the holes with masking tape, and re-punch them until you get it right.
Thanks Larry. Yes, I've done all of the work myself which is why it takes so long to get it done. I made a set of vinyl patterns for the side curtains so that making additional ones is a lot easier. I'll make the paper patterns for locating the eyelets because the last thing I want to do is place them wrong!
Hi Justin, great job, what kind of sewing machine are you using? and are copies of your patterns possibly for sale? Jim
James, I am using an old Singer 31-15 industrial machine and it works perfectly for this kind of job.
I just finished making the curtain for my driver's side and need to sew the rod into it. I did get to thinking about checking the interest level on these and maybe making some more for others and would even consider selling the patterns but would want to put together a packet with pictures and instructions describing the order of assembly as there are a few tricks to make them similar to how Ford made them. Fortunately I had an original remnant to go along with the blueprint because there are a lot of missing details on the print.
I also have my original curtain rods. I am working on making those also out of the correct hollow steel. It seems to me that solid steel is just too heavy considering that they get stored over head in the roof and any extra weight will just help them want to come crashing down.
Out of curiosity, would anyone like to give input on their interest level for any of the options below:
1. Curtain patterns and assembly guide.
2. Curtain assemblies without curtain rods installed (you install your own).
3. Curtain assemblies with your original curtain rods installed (you make sure they fit your doors and cab opening and send them to me).
4. Curtain assemblies with new curtain rods installed (either bought from vendors or supplied by me when available).
Another option that I would consider is using different materials to make the curtains. I know that there are some really nice C cabs out there with older restorations / patina that would look funny with new Colonial grain material. Heavy waxed canvas in either black or green would look good on these.
Wow, great work on those side curtains.
I bought this C-Cab stake bed TT from Jim Lightfoot last year. At some point I will want a set of side curtains – most likely your Option 4.
P.S. If you look closely you will see it has the long boot scraper running boards. The truck is un-restored, but a few things have been changed out in the past. Perhaps Jim can fill in on the history of this TT.
Rich, that is a great looking truck. I'm curious about the top wood. It appears to be original but I don't see any strips that run from front to back. I know there were variations of the roof over the years of the C cab production, I wonder if that was one of them.
By the way, I also have an original flap that hangs above the windshield and can make those too. It closes the gap between the windshield and the roof. You can see it on my photo above.
(Message edited by JunkyJud on January 05, 2016)
Just for the record. The side curtains are made from the same material as the tops and side curtains, and is NOT colonial grain. It is turf grain, and is available from Langs. Mike Francis at Classtique also uses this material. I know I'm getting really fussy here, but I don't like the current common sense fasteners. They just don't look right. I've always had luck finding them at swap meets. The earlier ones for brass T's are more difficult to find, especially the eyelets. The sewing machine I use is a Singer 211 with a backstich feature. I know the Jap machines are more plentiful, but I just don't feel right with a Japanese sewing machine, or car!
My mistake. I purchased the material from Lang's and they call it either "Ford" grain or Colonial grain but as far as I know it is the Turf grain from Haartz. It has a somewhat glossy appearance to it and the grain matches very closely to what small areas of grain are left on my original fabric.
Hello Rich, Happy New Year, I miss my truck but I now have an enclosed cab TT to be restored. Your truck was sold new in Wyoming as per the dash plaque. And was used on a ranch. I was the third owner Regards Jim