Turtle Decks. Do they all have 2 latches?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Turtle Decks. Do they all have 2 latches?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris George on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

I got this turtle deck or roadster trunk from someone who was building a speedster (a blue one)
He changed the back of his speedster to a boat tail and I was able to buy this. Its never been rusted or patched. Im not sure but is 1914 the only year with 2 latches on the lid?
[URL=http://s266.photobucket.com/user/georgeskustomauto/media/20151205_173802_zpsfzrn fypv.jpg.html][IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii268/georgeskustomauto/20151205_173802_zpsfz rnfypv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Chris short answer is no the 23-25 turtle deck as well as the 26/7 roadster turtle decks did not have handles. I know that 13-22 roadster turtle decks all had two handles though the shape of the handles changed around 17 to flat type I believe. Yours are the rounded ones. If you look at the front of the turtle deck (where it fits the back of the seat) and there is not a cut out for a battery hole you most likely have an earlier one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

That's for '14-'17. The earlier ones had sharper corners and the '17-'22 ones had flat handles as John describes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

1917 and 1918 use the same handles as the 1913 - 1916. I think the flat handles came along in 1919 or 1920.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:01 am:

I have studied this part quite closely on many cars and agree with Royce. The flat handles arrived in '19. My own '19 has them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 08:06 am:

Good to know, I have a friend that has an "original" 18 roadster and the turtle deck has the flat handles. I put the original in quotes because he was told by the 3rd owner it was and original car however there was no provenance. I really love this stuff and love learning from you ladies and germs I mean gentlemen. That germs part just popped up in my head. Who use to say that back in the day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 08:57 am:

From earlier discussions here, the consensus is that the flat handles first occurred at the same time as the notch for the access, which was for the '19 model year.

John -- That was Uncle Miltie.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration