OT - Horseless Carriage Winter Project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Horseless Carriage Winter Project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

Here are some photos of the "horseless carriage" model as of today. I have started painting and adding some engine detail like the oil lines coming off the force feed lubricator and a little Schebler D carb.

It is interesting to think that Sears & Roebuck was trying to compete with Henry Ford in the low price field. The Sears was introduced in 1908 and discontinued in 1912 due to mounting losses. About 3,000 were made of which 200 or so still exist today. In my opinion, the demise of the highwheeler type was due to popularity of the Model T.

Gil - Thanks for the comment on the front sprocket. I remade it much smaller this time along with differential plates like on my Sears.

Work on the body is next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

You do fantastic work Mike. I like the "sliding wheel" transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Owen on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:45 am:

Nice work Mike. Beginning to look very familiar. Can't wait to see it with the body installed. Are you going to do a soft top for it as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 08:51 am:

That is truly amazing. Great attention to detail. What a great way to spend time and less expensive than the big cars.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

Hi Mitch. Yes, she will be upholstered like the real Sears, including a folding top. I started on the body last night. I will post some photos when it is completed (before upholstery).

Hi Rich. Yes, it is a lot less expensive than the real ones (lol). If nothing else, my soldering skills are getting better for the next time I have to rebuild a T coil box!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

Great model Mike, do you have an original that you are copying?

Our original 1911, I can send you higher res photos if you need some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Missed the last line in the original post!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Hi Chris. That is a beautiful Sears! I really like your original bale headlamps.

My model is based on our 1911 Sears Model G. It was the base model without fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

Good evening everyone. Attached are some photos of progress today on my scratch-made "horseless carriage" model. Body is started along with the steering and spark/throttle controls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Looking better all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Mike, your work is very impressive. Wow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

I added some more of the steering linkage today. The wheels turn with the tiller now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration