Mounting Blocks, TT Closed Cab-to-Frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Mounting Blocks, TT Closed Cab-to-Frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:12 am:

Continuing an on-going thread from 2015:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/598571.html?1451706953

When I pulled the engine from my truck, the mounting horns would not clear the
cab, as the blocks had been removed and the front cab-to-frame brackets shortened.
After some experimenting with parallels and clearances (and replacing the shortened
front cab-to-frame brackets with good ones), I made some blocks to properly support
the cab.

I would be most interested in learning what OEM blocks looked like and their specific
measurements to make mine "right", but given the function-before-form nature of TT
trucks, I suspect my blocks are not the only ones used on this truck since Henry's
boys built it 90 years ago, and these will do just fine until I learn better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Burger,

That's why I like the earlier TTs so much. There is no discussion of "correct" cab, bed, mounting, etc. Pretty much no matter what I do, no one can tell me it's incorrect. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

Henry, et al;

The place I go with this is WHY do we have people who fell compelled to tell others what is right and
what is wrong, when the concept is largely a grey area for so many things with a T ?

I understand what may be period correct for a late-year 1912 this or that, and good intel on how to
not botch something is always appreciated, but this holier-than-thou purist BS is just bad for the hobby.

I mean, let's see a show of hands, ... as a new hobby member, who likes that arrogant guy telling us
we're wrong ? Who likes that guy even when we've been at it a while ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

I have attached pictures of the mounting blocks from a very late 27 TT. I believe these to be original because the majority of this truck appears original. Dimensions are: 9 1/4" long (driver to passenger side), 1 25/64" wide (front to back), 1 1/8" thick (top to bottom). The thickness is cut back 1/8" approximately 1 53/64" from the outside edge. Holes are located from outside edge at approximately 5/8", 4 1/8", and 6 1/2".
TT wood mount 1
TT wood mount 2
TT wood mount 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

Tom, Thank you for posting these pictures and measurements on the TT wood body mounting blocks. This is sorely needed information. Just to be sure, could you please tell us, are these blocks from a closed cab TT?

To Henry and Burger, all these questions on TT's show the need for a well researched publication on all the little variations about the details on TT's. We know there's a market out there for a book about TT's. Such a book would answer most of these questions and is sorely needed.

Just my opinion. What do the rest of you think?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 12:53 am:

While my truck has a lot of original features, it is not entirely unmolested. But I would be
happy to conspire with any evil-minded TT loon in compiling whatever my trucks could offer
in "details" toward such a compilation. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Keith,
Yes these blocks are from a closed cab TT. Photo attached is from last year when it was purchased. The newspaper taped over rear window mentioned current President Nixon, so it was sitting for a while.

1927 TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Tom, what is the cog wheel seen poking out below the frame behind the cab ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Burger,
It is part of the hand crank dump mechanism. You can also see the hinges bolted to the rear crossmember. I thought I took better pictures of it, but can't find them right now.
Hand crank dump mech

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan - Vineland NJ 08360 on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

Hi Tom,
Could you please make a drawing of the blocks? thank you, Erick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Tom, Thanks for posting the pictures. Your TT looks like a nice project.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

The dimensions I gave earlier are accurate dimensions of the blocks themselves. After placing the cab back on the chassis it appears that the blocks could be a little bit thicker to better align the cab and firewall. Also the cut back area only needs to be cut back a little over 3/32" as the metal in that area is only about 0.1".
Erick,
If I get time I'll see what I can do.
Keith,
Thanks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration