Red Head Lives - Third year

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Red Head Lives - Third year
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 01:10 am:

I have previously described the antics of my friend in building the Another RED head Speedster. First the trip from San Diego to Minnesota to pick up bits of a a 1913 Roadster the purchase of the Red overhead valve cylinder head and then the numerous changes along the way. We got the motor started in April 2015 only to find that some of the head bolts pulled out requiring another visit to the machine shop....
Then the body, turned out there are some very skilled metal workers in the San Diego area and the owners talents at woodwork should not be underestimated.
During the speedster run in October the original wheels failed and the owner decided to purchase at set of the Maclaren spoke wheels and he WANTED a pointed "Livingstone' style radiator, after all its only money.... They both arrived on December and today all these latest goodies were installed and it is now complete.

The owner has a sense of humor....

I hope he enjoys the Red Head speedster in 2016 and beyond.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 02:00 am:

How can you call it the Red Head Speedster when it is blue and the owner is bald?

Other than that it looks really nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 07:40 am:

Tony do you have any details on the engine or pictures of it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Looks great! I have to ask, what's up with the flipped backwards front license plate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Less aerodynamic resistance at Mach # approaching 1.0.
respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

That's what the crank is for, to hold the license plate. If anyone wants to see it, just raise the crank and it will fall.
Nice Car.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

Hmmm,....second time I've added this to a post in the last few minutes, but, this is another example of a great looking speedster to which no great (and expensive) lengths have been utilized in lowering. I think it's low enough to really look good, and I'd guess that this is another use of a "new improved" ('26 - '27) that was designed somewhat flatter than earlier Model "T" front springs. Beautiful speedster,.....harold

P.S. I should also add that the "new improved" Model "T" spindles also lower the front end a bit,.....and it all adds up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Dang! Really "DID" proofread and still missed it! Meant to say, "new improved" ("26 - '27) FRONT spring,....sorry,.....haven't had my second cuppa' coffee yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

OK I will try to answer the concerns, I was away yesterday playing with the two Grandsons. The eldest is a junior is High School and is looking at colleges, so I not too sure how much more one on one time I will get with him...
The speedster does have a front number plate and no the that is not the reason for the crank!. the car was on jacks when we installed the wheels and when we dropped it we held the plate out of the way behind the crank. Here it is:

Yes the car is blue (and shiny aluminium), but under all the hood is a Red Rajo Model A 4 valve head.

I built up the engine, it is my first overhead so I was learning along the way. The RAJO is a 4 inlet valve design, believe it is a Model A and intended to give more power to Model T dump trucks in excavating the buildings in New York. It "just" clears the metal firewall, touches the wood firewall. The exhaust manifold is the Chaffin dual deign, the intake is suppose to be period. The Stromberg Model O came from Stan. It has a locally ground 260 cam, which is the same as Ricky my daughters speedster. I provided great pull... The rest is the usual stuff, Al pistons, SS valves, hardened seats, Texas T external oiler, 12 volt Alternator, Jack rabbit clutch, Kevlar bands, Modern warford, standard 3.63 rear end with modern seals throughout. There is even more information under MTFCA Red Heads Lives in the 2015 Forum. The whole car was built without regards to cost, he wanted a period racer and this is his interpretation of such a car. I am certain they were never this nice...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

...and even fewer had alternators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Noticed that also Layden. That being said I would not kick this car out of my garage over that!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration