Length of oil pan inspection plate bolts. 3 are longer.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Length of oil pan inspection plate bolts. 3 are longer.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 11:00 am:

Cleaning and paintng engine on 26/27. Painted oil pan lower flat large inspection plate with 17 bolts. While cleaning bolts, I noticed 3 are about 1/4" longer than the other 14.
Can't located in my manual where the 3 longer bolts go back.
Two at rear end and one at front end center? All three at front end?

Any assistance appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Don't think they were different lengths from Ford? Maybe some accessory has been fitted at some time - or the std screws were lost and replaced by longer ones by some previous owner? They will likely work fine wherever you place them :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 11:11 am:

The pan itself has slightly longer bolts at a few positions where the corner reinforcement brackets sits on 1925-27 engines

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

OK, thanks. I'll go out and check where the support braces are located. I had a feeling that the shorter bolts would go through the block and into the holding irons, but had three longer bolts left over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

This one part that didn't change from its introduction through '27. They should all be 7/16" long. Kind of an odd length so Roger is probably right about them being replacements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

O.K., R.V. (or anyone else) while we're on this topic, are there any other places in a T engine assembly (specifically 26-27), where multiple bolts of the same length are used and what is their correct length? Head bolts are obvious, so no need to review them. Also, when using bolts and castellated nuts, like on the pan to block and hogshead to pan, how did Ford do it at the factory; nuts up or nuts down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Pan and hogshead nuts go on top except for the bolt under the timer. The length of the 16 crankcase to block bolts is 1-7/32", as are two of the bolts for the aluminum hogshead. The remaining 8 hogshead bolts are 1-3/32". The bolt that goes under the timer is 7/8" and the other 4 that hold the timing gear cover are 11/16". The bolts used with iron hogsheads may be slightly different but I have nothing in the records to indicate such. The exception here would be the bolts under the starter on the iron covers; these are shorter (I believe 23/32") and of course use no nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

Just found one change: the 8 trans. cover bolts changed to 1-3/16" long. apparently about the time of the change to the sloping inspection door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

Thanks a lot. I'm sure this info will be helpful to many, like myself, who didn't bag and mark everything when disassembling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

As long as the rods don't hit em a little longer will be ok.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration