Old Photo - Mobile Hit And Miss Power Unit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Mobile Hit And Miss Power Unit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Looks like a '27 Roadster made into a home made pickup. It has wire wheels and I don't see any spare tire. It also has an aftermarket combination
stop and tail light.

Does anyone know where Trimble is?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Markuson on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Keith, more than likely Trimble county Kentucky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

Looks like the hit or miss didn't miss. It hit the truck top with a little oil sling from each side of the gas engine.

The license plate is a 1928 Kentucky. That Ford has been "rode hard and put away wet" for being only a couple of years old.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

That truck could be 20 years old with an older license plate. It's probably a portable power unit on a farm that never sees the highway or township road. Probably use it for grinding corn for uhm, the chickens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

Michael has a valid point. My truck was used exclusively on the ranch for decades. It still had a 1941 plate when I got it in about 2002.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

The engine looks like a 3 hp International Type M. If so, it would be a kerosene engine with a throttle governor, not hit and miss. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

Henry makes a really good "sideways" point. We get stuck in a paradigm of what we know
and see before us, when oft-times what, or how things are done today are much different than
how things were done in a different time period. In another hobby interest of mine, people
are forever "astonished" to learn that there was an historical protocol very different from how
"the hobby" is presented through collector books and price guides. The vast majority of
collectors being too lazy to really think the subject through to a period viewpoint of business
sense and not wasting time, energy, and money in a 19th century paradigm.

Why would anyone pour money down an unnecessary rathole, be it now or then ? So, why
would farmer Brown license a truck that never saw a public road ? But since most of us cannot
begin to imagine a life where our vehicles never saw a public road, we cannot begin to get our
head around the idea that someone out there somewhere had a vehicle that did just that !

Part of that "changing times" thing. Some things we don't really think about changed a lot too !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

I guess I didn't realize it was so obvious it said Kentucky 1928. Getting old and I can't see worth a flip anymore. (I didn't see Duane's comment until after I posted.)

A better choice of words may have been "photo of a well used Ford not taken earlier than 1928 and very likely in Kentucky".

The point about plates is quite valid. I drove this one yesterday on a public road with the 1965 Texas plates still on it. The second owner had them on it for the last 50 years (45 actually) on the same ranch. Why change now?

Photos taken some time after 1965..

However, if you look very closely they were taken in 2010.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

On some of the island off the coast of Maine, cars are driven for years with expired plates on public roads. The roads don't go anywhere, and there's no auto ferry service to the mainland, so why not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim york, Boise Id. on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

Great Picture Jay, I noticed that they must be driving two different machines with that engine as the belt on the left side is twisted which will change the direction of rotation as the belt on the right side is not twisted. Whatever they are driving is up high, probably on the second floor of a barn. That is the first picture of an engine driving from both sides at once that I have seen. Just doing things outside of the box. Thanks again Jay. Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration