Old Photo - Door To Door Rail Service

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Door To Door Rail Service
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 10:42 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 11:11 am:

now there's a photo I would like to know the back story on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Too much speed on a curve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Of course how the streetcar ended up in that position is the big question, but I have another. What exactly is (or was) a "sanitary store"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Ever have one of those days...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

The sanitary service was there to provide clean underware to all those who were on the street car.

If it happened today hazmat team would be deployed to handle all the soiled underware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

That is great insight Dennis. I would not have thought of that one.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Once the Haz Mat team showed up and surveyed the situation, they would call for back up, including the Fire Department, the Street Department, assorted police, and nothing would take place until the mayor shows up to have a press conference. Then ecology team would need to assess the need for containment and only then could any activity take place. All in all there would have been a delay of several hours while the beauracrats haggled over who actually was in charge of the scene.

Back in the day, everyone hopped to it helped out got the trolley back in service and everyone on their way.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

I thought the "Sanitary Store' was like a 'port-o-can' service and was there to service the 'facilities' on the street car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Looks like an Inter-Urban trolley that hit the curve too fast and jumped the tracks. The 'Sanitary' truck has just arrived to carry off the motorman's shorts.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

The first picture doesn't look like a street car to me. No evidence of overhead lines. To me it appears to be a regular rail passenger carriage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Looks like an electric pick up rod extending out in front of the car. Kind of faint but cord to pull rod down can also be seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

found this-----Hunter's Sanitary Store at 150 Maple Avenue,
still looking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

I believe that a Sanitary Store is a retailer that specialized in bathroom fixtures, early plumbing supply house perhaps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

It's a streetcar/interuban, you can see the trolley pole over the "front" and you can see the trolley wire over the tracks in the foreground.
"Sanitary Store?"
Probably only took them a few hours to rerail the car and get back to work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 12:33 am:

You guys should really know better .... "sanitary" was a common term of the era.
If one studies old photos, you'll find Sanitary Dairy, Sanitary Lunch Counter, all sorts
of businesses that added that piece to their name to make it appear they are cleaner
and less likely to spread disease. All this was the result of the emerging sciences
around germs and infections. We use the same kinds of stupid mis-applied buzzwords
today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 01:13 am:

Now I see the pole. I thought it was part of the building. In zooming in to find the pole, i noticed that there are people still sat in the streetcar.... I wonder if they are waiting for the next car or if it just happened?
Love the old pictures, thanks Jay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 02:14 am:

Tony, maybe it is something like this about the people..."Listen, I paid my 10 cents to go to Main St., and I ain't getting off, till we get there" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 08:33 am:

Brass car guy...you forgot the all important Homeland Security bunch! They would have to shake down the whole neighborhood in search of the terrorists that caused the whole thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Back in the day the picture show's people still sitting in the trolly? Maybe they were waiting for superman to move the approx 50 ton trolley? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:57 am:

It is a store that is clean.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/POSTER-Hamilton-02-Feb-Hunters-Sanitary/dp/B00P144RH2

A poster of the store was available from Amazon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Or maybe Supergirl now that she's around now...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Derailments were common (although this one is a little far off the track) but they were just waiting for the track crew to show up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

During WWI, a troop train using MKT RR tracks, derailed right before reaching the depot in my hometown. Just a half block north of the tracks was the Ford dealer. I don't know how close any of the coaches got to the dealership, but from the picture that I've seen of it, the wreck probably wasn't more than 100 feet from it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

When i was at Chevy one day there was a tank car half in and half out of the building! Way back in about 1975 a gondola full of scrap was knocked over the deadman on our north siding and they brought in the big hook[steam] to reseat it!! In 1983-84 the railroad shoved a carload of car frames through a building and we had to use a moble crane to unload frames and keep the big 88 and 98 old's comming off the line! Working in plant;s close to track's and switch yards i can say there is nothing the railroad can't bust!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

The people sitting in the trolley car are waiting for their barristers to answer their cell phone calls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

The picture has too many faults, if the tram left the rails it would just go straight, in the area it was operating the speed would have been relatively slow and therefore the distance travelled on the ground would have been very limited. It is too coincidental that it stopped right at the building front door. The passengers appear to be enjoying the ride. I believe it was lifted there for a stunt or picture/movie. The wheel trucks would not allow it to turn. The rear trucks appear to still be on the rails and there appears to be a low level of concern by the bystanders. I think it is a real picture but by design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

The curb does appear to be damaged, chips laying in the gutter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Powell. Tasmania Australia on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

G.R Cheshire, I was wondering about the backstory too.
I bet if we knew where the photo was "taken from" the answers would be there.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

A little history I found. Hamilton Terminal Company #601 has derailed on the HG&B at Maplewood and Prospect in Hamilton during the 1920s. Built by the Preston Car & Coach Company in 1910, it was later transferred to the Hamilton Radial Electric Railway (HRER) and renumbered 309. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)

Up above you can see the trolley wire. If you look at the front wheels, underneath, you can see the road curb, and the wheels have run up over it. Also you can see the reflection of the front of the car in the store window, so it's definitely a derail. It looks like the front wheels have jumped track from the center of the road, and veered to the right, finally curving harder to the right and up on the curb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Benjamin. Way to go on finding out the details of that photo. I once lived a five minute walk from there and now a ten minute drive. Here is the building today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

BTW, that building was Hunter's Sanitary Store. The truck could have been parked there and narrowly escaped. More likely, it arrived after the crash as it is facing the wrong way on the street. Great photo Jay, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

Benjamin, I am very impressed. Still not sure where Hamilton is (I live out near the left coast) I pulled down a map and sure enough...

There it is right next to the puddle on the right. They call that pond Lake Ontario. I was just there in August, 1964. We probably drove through on the 403 going to Detroit. I would have seen the town from the rear seat of a '64 Cheby Impala station wagon in the middle of the day. I don't remember the store, all I remember is an endless panorama of open fields. Maybe I slept until I got a bit west of Hamilton!

TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration