'26 Coupe engine DOM

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: '26 Coupe engine DOM
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Have what I believe to be an early 1926 Coupe (no bumpers, wooden wheels) w/the original engine. Looking at the chart I see the engine #'s come back as being manufactured in December of '25. I see here that the DAY of manufacture comes up quite often. Where can I find that info? I'd like to keep this car as close to original as possible, and being an early '26 I have questions about paint colors that were OK for an early '26 Coupe also. When was the dark green color started? Thanks for your time, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 10:55 am:

The book or CD "Model T Ford, the Car That Changed the World" has a table in the back that shows engine assembly numbers to the day.

If you post your engine number, I will look it up in my copy and tell you what day your engine was assembled. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 10:57 am:

The list of production numbers by day is in the book The Car That Changed The World by Bruce Macally(RIP). If you post the engine number or send me a message, I will give you the date. Tonybowker at aol.com (you know what to do)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Dave

Research indicates the early closed Improved Cars, (model year Aug 1925-July 1926) production were black. The Channel Green was offered on the Coupe and Tudor, and Windsor Maroon on the Fordor, later in the model year. So most likely at the various branches by mid '26. Also the paint became the new lacquer, and the early green and maroon were likely enamel like paint, similar to the oven dried black finish.

So dating exactly the time color paint on the closed cars is done accurately by ref to original cars, motor number and paint remains. A guess would say by perhaps Dec'25 or Jan '26 the colors were available at most all the assembly branches. If your early Coupe, fender mounted headlamps, and other early features was black body paint, then black is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Thanks Mark for the offer. Engine # 12849032.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

The table says that engines 12847157 through 12855159 were assembled on December 4th, 1925, so your engine falls in the middle of that day's assembly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

You missed proof of an original engine by about a week. I think it was December 12 when they started stamping the engine numbers on the frames.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Thanks. I now know my cars birthday. The car is still at where I purchased it. No room in the barn yet. Have an 12x30 bay framed out, and the roof metal on. This gravel floored addition will house my other Ford, an 1948 8N that I've returned to a working tractor. Plan on clearing out the concreted floored 30x30 section to be used as the spot to restore my coupe. When I see the what have you done thread, I smile knowing that I'm getting there.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration