Exhaust pipe nut

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Exhaust pipe nut
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

Is there a gasket between the exhaust pipe and the exhaust manifold like you find in cars today ... Thanks for any help ... Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

No. It's a metal to metal connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Nope, not shown in the Ford parts book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

The 1909 - 1913 manifold uses an asbestos packing to clamp the pipe to the manifold. From 1914- 1927 it is a flare connection with no seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Since I already typed it up, I'll go ahead and add it. A longer version of what Royce said.

Joe,

I didnít see what year exhaust manifold you were talking about. The 1909-1927 exhaust manifolds all use the same exhaust nut to hold the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold. But for the 1909- early Jan/Feb 1913ish exhaust manifolds, the exhaust pipe did NOT have a flared end. Instead it was straight cut and it fit INSIDE of the exhaust manifold. For that set up, it used some asbestos packing around the pipe that nut then compressed. Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#man 1909-10 Exhaust pipe fitted into the exhaust manifold and had asbestos packing, secured with usual nut. Ö In January 1913 another letter specified the exhaust manifold was made for the flanged exhaust pipe.

So whatever style exhaust manifold you have, you want the exhaust pipe to be compatible with it. And as others have stated, for the 1913-1927 style exhaust pipe with a flange it fits metal to metal against the exhaust manifold held on by the exhaust packing nut.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

One car I bought had several rounds of small gauge copper wire wrapped around the exhaust pipe at the flange and when the nut was tightened, it smashed the wire supposedly making a better seal.

ALSO there is a graphite embedded roping used on some old tractor manifolds and a similar product used to seal doors on glass door wood burning inserts. I have used this rope with good results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

I'm going to have figure something to work on mine the nut is down tight bottom out on threads pipes sill loose

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Bob, it is a common problem when T exhaust manifolds and nuts get worn a bit. They can wear to the point where the nut will still catch the manifold threads and screw down, but will have enough excess clearance to allow the nut to work loose with little vibration. I've been there; done that. You might try wrapping the thread grooves with a small diameter copper wire under the nut or get a manifold with better threads. If the nut's threads are the only thing worn,; replace the nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:07 am:

The nut can't work loose if you tighten it properly. It's imperative you use an original or reproduction pack nut wrench, and use your left hand to wiggle the pipe as you are tightening. I've never had one come loose in over 50 years of driving T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:22 am:

Larry, I wish that I'd have saved the manifold with worn threads that my Dad and I took off my Grandfather's 27 coupe in the late sixties and I'd gladly sent it to you. Granddad had changed out the vaporizer to an NH (actually a Wizard). The threads were so worn on the old exhaust that the old nut wouldn't tighten, so we tried a new reproduction nut. It would catch what threads were on the manifold, but would strip when tightening was tried. No, I don't think we wiggled the exhaust pipe while tightening the nut. We, finally, had to use a exhaust manifold with more decent threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:24 am:

I also noticed that once the car is running and the pack nut heats up you can get a little more snugness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

The nut tightens down but the repo tail pipe still loose and wiggles the nut is bottoming out befor getting tight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 08:35 am:

OH NO!! I am in trouble again. :-(

I used a big adjustable wrench from Harbor Freight to loosen and tighten the pack nut on my 19.

It cost less than an original or reproduction Ford wrench and I can use it for other things like fixing the kitchen drain. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 08:39 am:

There is a good reason that the handle on the original exhaust nut wrench is not any longer.

When you extend the length, with an 18 inch piece of pipe, for more leverage, then you get the nut off the manifold and go buy a new exhaust manifold.

The exhaust pipe might be reusable, if you carefully cut the nut off the pipe. That can take a half hour to do though.

Manifold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 09:35 am:

What James said. Don't ask me how I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:16 am:

I have a 1927 parts book if front of me, and the pack nut is shown on page 14, also on page 29 as part of the exhaust assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:39 am:

The 8-5-28 parts book also shows the 3061 nut on Page Fourteen, but not on Twenty-Nine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Bob Middleton ó I have had that problem as well with the pack nut tight but the pipe still wiggleable. I took the pipe off and with a large ball peen and careful clobbering I made the flare wider and/or deeper (can't remember which) and achieved a nice snug fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Thanks Chris great profile pic

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration