Say what you want about those Rat Rodders, but.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Say what you want about those Rat Rodders, but.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

.....they are as crazy as some of us. This was parked behind my place today. I hope to live long enough to build one myself. That would be a long long time.

Rich

(sorry for those who are offended.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

What was parked behind your place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Ah ha pics..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

All other concerns aside, I don't think I could get in and out of it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

Sorry Kevin, I was a little slow. I see by your profile picture you enjoy snow too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

To me, rat rods fall into the category of - I enjoy seeing it at a show, but I wouldn't want to own one.

I'd like to be around to watch him get into or out of that thing... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell R. on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

That looks to be a concourse rat rod.
Damn cold ride this time of year.
Great to look at, but probably not really what I'd want to own.
Pretty sure the likes of these vehicles wont be around in 10 years time...
Safety last seems to be their motto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

I'm not a fan of the "rat rod" trend, but I do like that it provides the young guys an affordable means to build their hotrods without feeling like they need to stick $15k into body and paint just to participate in the hobby.

It's kind of a gateway into traditional rodding and early car history for the younger guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Say what you may, but some of these cars are very creative. I would never condone destroying a restorable car to build one, but oftentimes they take parts and pieces that none of us would truly want and assemble road worthy vehicles using their imagination, elbow grease and a lot of welding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

Yes Richard but not at the moment as its summer here.
We couldn't get away with building something from parts anymore as everything here has to be certified before its passed road worthy & then number plates are issued.
You wouldn't want to sit idling on dirt road the way those drains are positioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

This car is trailered to shows all over the country. The owner and I can appreciate each others work but on different kinds of cars. He is a good neighbor and it is always fun to see what he is building.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

Looks like something that Mad Max would be using on Fury Road! Mad Max special. Those movies probably helped to start the Rat Rod passion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

My grand daughter and her husband are not yet thirty She has been a licensed hair dresser for ten years while her husband will be a funeral director this year. They have blessed me with two knockout gorgeous great grand daughters who are home schooled just as sharp as they look.

Five years past on a visit to California I said nothing after seeing the chop job on the A very much like the pictures. Wish all young folks had the get up and go that family has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

Despite our preferences we all have to get along with each other. I have seen folks get as upset over water pumps and E-timers as those defacing wonderful old car parts.

Peace!

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

I didn't like these things at first but, I am starting to accept them. They bother me a lot less than a clean painted but rodded car that is passed off as a "Model T" or "Model A" and as mentioned, they are usually built from junk anyway. I saw one in my area that impressed me somewhat. It was powered by a Cummins turbo diesel from a Dodge pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

question, if this was parked behind your house, and you live in florida, why the snow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

I live in Idaho. I didn't realize I was causing confusion til a week or so ago. Ida Fls = Idaho Falls. Maybe I should move.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

Is this better?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Grain Belt Beer and hot rods - a Minneapolis tradition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a00MXL36N2g

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

I enjoy rats some of the ideas and creativity is genius.
Beside most are using parts that are not being used by restorers.
Take this ride who would take a rusted grill off a common model and replace it you would have far more in it then buying a repop one and the body cancel are was pretty rough and would require many hours and dollars.
I aways feel little sad but then it's being enjoyed .
I also found owners of theservice are usually great folks who like us like old iron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Rat rods are the result of the hotrod scene becoming too high dollar, polished, and
the resultant "Just say no to billet" movement. My father built cars like this in the early
50's ... just drag home some pile of junk and try to make it into something "cool".

Personally, over-polished billet hotrods fill me with the urge to defecate. I like this
more traditional, organic style of building. The only difference between my Dad and his
friends and the guys building these cars is they purposely don't try to "upgrade" them
to a state of "pretty" like my Dad's generation did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

I like the well built rat rods. If they're built with safety in mind I think they're great. But when you see a frame made of 3" well pipe stuck together with bubble gum welds and sporting an Allison V12 engine, ya gotta wonder why some of that crap isn't banned from our highways. I saw that thing at Rollie's Rednecks and Longnecks in St Cloud a couple years ago and I still wake up some nights screaming and calling for my blanky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Here is mine. 29 Model A pickup, 302 Ford, original factory Ford tri-power setup. It was a very rough basket case. Looks better in the photo of before, than it really was. Brush painted, It has dents, bullet holes, ect but is a little better finished than the rusty ones. It will cruise all day at 60 to 65 miles per hour. has seat belts, heater, new four wheel brakes, electric wipers, turn signals, ect. Its my daily driver in the winter because it has a heater . :-) ... The rat rod guys are a different breed, Lots of them are part of a Kulture group (spelled with a K) that are into the lifestyle of rockabilly music, tattoos, fast loud cars, pin striping, and in general just being different than mainstream. They are here to stay, and the purist, restoration, big money restoration folks, have been hoping they will fade away, but it "ain't gonna happen". I have a little in common with them and sit on both sides of the fence. I have restored cars , and hot rods. (I can almost hear the groans and oh my's already) If built from marginal parts Im OK with it, now if someone takes a very nice original car and cuts it up, Ill be the first one there with the tar and feathers... main thing is be safe and have fun ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 05:15 am:

Michael G. makes a good point about safety. This car was parked next to me at a car show this Summer. It didn't participate in a parade after the show for lack of brakes. Still in the works.
However, it was a Grandson Grandfather project. Apparently the young man was befriended by the local scrap yard and given most of the parts. Grampa was pleased that the boy was staying busy on the truck and not getting into trouble like so many of his buddies. It was nice to see the kid's enthusiasm for cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:09 am:

If that's what you want to do with your money, it's your call. Have fun! I drove enough cobbled together junk trying to make my way through college. Now that my bottom line is better, I'm looking forward to ordering a new vehicle next week and it won't look like a salvage yard fugitive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell R. on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:48 am:

The junk stuff are not rat rods they are junk, the others are cleaver, mostly unfinished pieces of art I guess.
Fortunately, of later people have seen the art value of these vehicles and possibly forced the standards in the right direction.
They are eye catching and some are very skilfully assembled from an artistic point of view, but lets see how long they survive for...
The quality builders own the name rat rod not the guys who just throw pieces of unsafe junk together who display very poor hand and mechanical skills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 11:07 am:

I'm new to the Model T hobby, got my first and creating a WWI Light Patrol Vehicle, so, to some, I'm probably bastardizing a Model T just as much as the ratrodders.
My other vehicles are WWII jeeps. In that hobby, we refer to jeeps that were military surplus and then turned into farming, moonshine running, ranch driving, high school transporatation, dirt racers, etc., as a Bubba jeep. When getting a fresh barn find, it was an intersting topic of discussion to learn what "Bubba' had done to our beloved vehicles prior to our ownership. I imagine there is such a rift in the Model T and Model A hobbies as well.

But, we are often reminded that if it were not bor Bubba and his keeping the jeeps alive for 60 years, they would not be around for us to obtain and restore. And, many new members were not military soldiers that drove or maintained military vehicles in the service, but former "Bubbas" that had one of these jeeps at some point in his/her background.

So, like most here, I'm not a fan, but can respect the leneage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Nice A Donnie! My bride would love that one if it had an automatic. My Ts are not built for creature comfort she prefers and she remembers a ride I gave her in my Chev powered A roadster when she was thirteen some forty years before our wedding!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Donnie for me your car is closer to being a typical 'Hot Rod' than a 'Rat Rod'.

I guess it depends on how a guy understands what a rat rod is. But that's debatable.

Your car looks to well put together to be a rat rod.

Dune buggies in the 60's and 70's with big engines were rat rods for some people.

To each his own!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Richard,

What's that beast parked on the far side of the truck in your last photo? It looks like it has square spokes and a lug at every one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

That is my Yellowstone Bus. It has been discussed here before. I will say that a lot of folks at these car shows express a lot of interest in the restored cars.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/458384.html?1404346133

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

Paul, My A pickup has a c-4 automatic with a 23 inch tall "Gennie" shifter. and my truck is toward the very top end of the "rat" scale. It is very well designed and drives like a dream. But it has some bare metal, un-ground welds, dents, pits, brush painted no interior except for a nice tuck and roll seat. Some of the guys love the term "rat rod" others hate it. They run from unsafe piles of crap to nicely done safe cars. But there are some model T owners among us driving unsafe cars also. and I do not mean unsafe just because they are Model Ts. The rat rod Kar-Kulture movement is here to stay. There may be more of them than there are of US T guys. I have been to the shows and drives catering to the Rat Rods no-billet, no trailer queens shows and those guys are having a blast. They usually have a live band playing rock-a-billy music. Some dress up in 50s 60s era clothing with a little punk-rock-steam punk style thrown in. Its kinda like going to the circus, and all the animals are out of the cages. :-) There are whole families there and they are younger folks. Most in their late 20s 30s age. with a few 40s 50s age thrown in as the minority age. I have been on several cruises, and most everyone is as eager to help a broken down vehicle as most of us T guys are. So whos to say we are right and they are wrong. But I could be biased in my opinion, as I sit on both sides of the fence. As always , have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Agree with your post Donnie! My A had Wescots glass body parts. there work is perfect. With a B and M four speed hydro and 3000rpm stall speed it was a rocket to 100 mph. I am perfectly happy now at 50mph top end in my T touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

Donnie very well said I had my restored A at a rockabilly riots as there gatherings are called
I was welcome the next year I took my beat up TT and was the bell of the ball. It's just nice to know old iron is being enjoyed Ps like other stated nice pickem up truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell R. on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

So my other Model T coupe is OK then...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Not that my opinion matters. Like you all I have been to some impressive car shows. Both with a car and without. I prefer the OLD school hot rods/rats any day over these chrome queens that the engine and paint job cost more than my house. Beautiful cars yes but not old school realistic. But that's just me.

I have noticed many times, outside of the other gueen owners, people flock more to old school and antique cars, even in less than perfect condition, much more. But even with old school, I wish more rods would show with the flat V8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

I'm with Tyrone from Topeka on this flathead 4s too. Dave in Bellingham,,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Tyrone, your opinion matters to us (unless it is different than ours :-) :-)) I agree about the show trailer queens, The old home built cars or original unrestored cars always have a crowd standing around them, (taking pictures, talking about them, crawling under the car, sitting in the car, ect.) and the show queens have people look, say "nice car" and then move on. The Rat Rod/Kar Kulture folks have a term for the chrome/high dollar/ trailer queens of all makes, models and years. They call them "T.U.R.D." cars (Trailered & Un-driven Restored & Displayed) cars .:-) Russell, nice car. I like it, but some purist is feeling sick right now. again, have fun and be safe ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Russell I be first to say it I like your coupe.
Unless a car has some historical value by a historical connection like the 07 Thomas Flyer, cars should be used and enjoyed in any shape or format. Yes museums are great and are needed show car or should say trailer queens are no more interesting to me then some artwork on the wall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

A wise old man once told me an example similar to what we are talking about. He said. The prom/beauty queen girls, were a beautiful thing to look at, haul around as a trophy, and show all your friends, but they cost a lot to have and are very high maintenance, and in the end not much fun. Now that plain old girl from the poor side of the tracks. A lot more fun and very low maintenance ... ..... have fun, be safe ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Someday I'll own a model a on deuce rails, with a flathead V8, modern 5 speed stick, 9" ford rearend and old school cheater slicks. Steel wheels with beauty rings and late 30's deluxe style hubcaps. I had an engine in my '38 truck that was a great motor. It was a '46 flathead taken out to the max on the bore, max-1 cam, offy heads and intake topped with two Holley 94's and breathing out of Fenton headers. The only part that'll be model a is the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Here is my '29 A roadster on deuce rails, Cadillac engine,10.5:1 pistons, with Engle cam, 4 97s, Vertex mag and 37 LaSalle transmission. Fortunately I did not destroy a model A roadster in the process... the body was already on a track racer. This was in 1957 before I got into Chevys. Model Ts parked in garage.
roadster

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration