Need a consensus

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need a consensus
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Water coming out from valve cover. Haven't haven't taken it off yet(time constraint at the moment). Weather cold here in Portland. Did I kill my block? Some antifreeze but probably not enough in radiator. Any information/advice much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Could just be a freeze plug leaking and running down onto valve cover. Look closely. May not be as bad as you think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Hal,
I am so hoping that is the case. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Three things could cause that. 1. Freeze plug, but that would be apparent from the outside. 2. Badly blown head gasket leaking into the cylinder and out through the valve stem, however in that case it would also go out the carburetor or the exhaust. 3. Sadly, a crack in the block near the valve ports. Sometimes they crack between the cylinder and exhaust valve. Another place they sometimes crack is in the water jacket over the valve area. It is not always a crack, however. Sometimes rust can eat through the steel causing it to leak. The cold weather causes metal to contract and any crack in the area would open up when it gets cold. The problem could be small which could be fixed with a weld or stop leak. But it could be worse. No way to be sure until you find and inspect the problem and maybe get a professional to inspect it. It's amazing what cracks and leaks are repairable, so don't get discouraged yet.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Tim,
Is the block a 26-7? they are prone for cracks between 2-3 on the upper side of the lifter galley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Yes Joe it is a 26-27 block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Thanks Norm. At least I know where to look .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

Good news it is just a freeze plug that is leaking. Thank you for your help guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Hi, Tim-

Are you a member of the Rose City Model T Club? The January meeting is this Thursday the 7th.
We meet at Tigard Senior Center 8815 SW Omara St. in Tigard, Oregon.

http://www.rosecitymodeltclub.org/

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

Keith,
I am a member of the Northwest Vintage Speedsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Friday, January 08, 2016 - 02:35 am:

Keith,

I would join Rose City Club but I have major time constraints right now. Small kids being most of it. I do know a few members though. I appreciate the information.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration