Advice on replacing the driven gear.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Advice on replacing the driven gear.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

Ok, I know the gear is only 61.00$ but since I am not made of money... The driven gear in my engine does show wear. Maybe 1/4 thickness wear. Leaving 3/4 thickness. The triple gears are all in good shape.

I figure I will have this car maybe 20-30 years before the pearly gates. My cars do not get driven a great deal and don't expect to more than that. Maybe some long tours now and again. The car will go to a grandkid which could sell it the day after I'm dead. Being that the engine is a 26, that means it took 90 years to become this worn.

Advice please as to how much longer this gear could give me good service or give me headaches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Tyrone, the gear would probably be ok because it is only used when the transmission in in low or reverse and is not used in high gear. Better original gears are, however, widely available so you may want to consider replacing your worn gear with a better one. Lang's has driven gears also.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3317U.aspx
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Great advice Stephen. Thank you for the lang's link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

I doubt very much if it will actually fail, but it could be a little noisy, but it does not sound like you are looking for perfection, so I recommend you use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 01:33 am:

I'm not sure, but I don't think the hardening goes all the way through, so maybe the wear will accelerate when it has reached as much as 1/4 way through.. Considering the effort needed to replace it in the middle of the transmission, I wouldn't risk using your worn out gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:14 am:

The later one piece triple gears utilize a narrower tooth face than the 3 piece triple gears and as such, the wear pattern can leave a pronounced step on the driven gear tooth faces. For this reason is a good idea to replace a badly worn driven gear. Some driven gears are badly pitted due to this reduced contact area and should be replaced as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Bottom line, do it right while you've got it apart and your grandkid will be able to continue enjoying it long after you're gone. There are no doubts or questions when the best possible parts are used. That gear sounds VERY used up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration