Exhaust input wanted for Speedster project.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Exhaust input wanted for Speedster project.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

I am at the point of starting to think about what kind of exhaust I want on the speedster project. I am trying to build a period correct speedster, with original parts as much as possible, and keeping the "patina finish" . So no modern upgrades. There is a photo of an original speedster I have been using as my "inspiration picture" Ill post a copy of it. I am not trying to build a clone of the photo but something very similar. So I will have a stock hood. That eliminates any kind of "side pipe" I have been considering the dual exhaust manifold Lang's sells. They are not really that bad of a price (if you say it fast enough) and I have read that they do help the performance. So are there any trick mufflers/exhaust systems from the time period . ???, Is The cast iron "Dual Manifold" a copy of a real accessory from the time period.?? The ad for them says it is, but I have never seen a period ad for anything like it ... I have thought about using TT torque tubes for pipes and mufflers as I believe that was something they did during the era. . I could add some baffles like old Harleys use, if they are too loud as straight pipes. Any input will be appreciated . Seth, If you read this, chime in with those mufflers you made. I can not find any pics of them ... I have been holding off posting pics of the speedster project till I got the sheet metal and the wood finished. I am almost there, so Ill post some soon for the ones not sick of the project . :-) ... have fun be safe ...

This is the inspiration car .....

This is aprox. the current stage of build .. but the lower deck wood cover is finished and the trunk lid and latches are finished, ect ... Its slowly getting there ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

I can't believe you don't want a side pipe? It keeps the passenger alert getting in and out.

Looks like you are doing a great job on it, can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Great Work Donnie! I don't think too many Speedsters had side exhausts back then, only the track versions. I did find one period looking side exhaust for a flat head track racer. It gives some idea of what was used in the period.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Donnie

some more inspiration for you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Again, another track racer, but good period exhaust

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Donnie

2 more Flat head speedster photos with side exhaust

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

This track racer is a bit over the top. looks like more some sort of muffling than exhaust

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

This is my R Fronty when it had a Roadster body and Rajo B or Hal head in about 1925. Note the single high pipe out of the side of the hood sweeping low to the rear of the car. Not the best of photos but all I have

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Lonnie, I do like the side pipes, but I also am trying to stay close to the photo design. But Marks photos do bring up something I did not consider. If the car in the photo has a overhead there could be a side pipe on the other side. Thanks for the pics.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration