Riveting E&J headlamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Riveting E&J headlamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Many of you may remember my E&J headlamp that was damaged when I hit a chicken. The flair part and the rim was damaged pretty badly. I called my friend Jerry Hubert who used to make reproduction headlamps. (Yes, he is still alive, 93 now.) He had reproduction spinnings for both parts. I ground off the rivets to remove the hardware and disassemble the lamps. By the way, they are soldered together, too. Here is the bent lamp with the rivets removed:

Here is the lamp with Jerry's reproduction flair piece sitting in place:

It is beginning to take shape. I got some "threaded rivets" from Restoration Supply. The head looks like a rivet head, but you put a nut on the backside. It looks good from the outside. Unfortunately, there is a small lip on the edge where the nut goes. I will have to flatten out the lip to use the nut.

The other option is to use rivets. I can probably find some rivets that will work, and I have a rivet set for the head. However, the rivets were not just peened over like regular rivets. They were peened with some sort of special rivet set. It looks like it has four petals.

Does anybody have one of these sets or able to give me any other advice? I don't want to mess these up!

Thanks

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

They look like tubular rivers. Maybe they are split tubular rivets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, January 04, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

I think someone just cross-punched them to tighten. I've haven't seen settings like that on the few lamps I've repaired. The lower ones in your picture don't appear to have been set that way. (Probably because they couldn't get to them.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 08:45 am:

Hello Keith:
Use the proper diameter head brass rivet where you pull the rivet through and maintain the sandwiched parts under tension. Flux the shank end at its base and solder it. Cut the excess rivet shank off, and dress it with a Dremmel. If concerned about heat transfer, place a wet towel in contact with any metal that may be affected.
Regards,
Scott

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration